Questioning Strange Matter and Neutronium: Is an Orbital Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of strange matter and its stability under certain conditions, such as in neutron stars. It also questions whether strange matter could be created in non-spherical shapes and why it would require gravitational pressure to remain stable. Additionally, the conversation mentions a link where more information on neutronium can be found.
SkepticJ
The wikipedia entry on strange matter didn't tell me all I wanted to know, so I'll have to ask here:

Is strange matter a fluid like 'neutronium' matter is? i.e. given advanced enough technology, could a cube or other non-spherical shape of strange matter be created? Or would it form a sphere because it's a fluid and its own gravity would force it to this shape? The wiki said that under some theories strange matter would be stable without gravitational pressure holding it together. Why, may I ask, does 'neutronium' need gravity to stay as 'neutronium' after it has collapsed from atomic form?
The point of all this is I'm trying to find a material that could be the foundation material of an Orbital without needing a fictional material and 'force fields'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange matter is matter which contains strange quarks in addition to the usual up and down. To the best of my knowledge it is stable only under extreme conditions, like in neutron stars. On Earth strange quarks quickly decay into down quarks plus photons.

SkepticJ said:
Is strange matter a fluid like 'neutronium' matter is? i.e. given advanced enough technology, could a cube or other non-spherical shape of strange matter be created? Or would it form a sphere because it's a fluid and its own gravity would force it to this shape? The wiki said that under some theories strange matter would be stable without gravitational pressure holding it together. Why, may I ask, does 'neutronium' need gravity to stay as 'neutronium' after it has collapsed from atomic form?
I will direct you to this link, where I recently learned quite a bit about neutronium, I suspect you will enjoy it. It will answer most of your questions

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=83095

Mk said:
I will direct you to this link, where I recently learned quite a bit about neutronium, I suspect you will enjoy it. It will answer most of your questions

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=83095

Interesting. :smile:

This doesn't answer why strange matter could be stable outside of a grav field though.(if those theories are right)

I also don't understand why neutronium would be a fluid instead of a solid. Why doesn't it form a crystal structure to be rigid?

1. What is strange matter and neutronium?

Strange matter and neutronium are two forms of extremely dense and exotic matter that are theorized to exist in the universe. Strange matter is made up of quarks, which are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons. Neutronium, on the other hand, is primarily made up of neutrons and is the densest known form of matter.

2. What makes these forms of matter so unique?

Strange matter and neutronium are unique because they have properties that are significantly different from normal matter. They are extremely dense and have incredibly strong gravitational forces, making them difficult to study and understand.

3. Is an orbital possible around strange matter or neutronium?

It is currently not known if an orbital is possible around strange matter or neutronium. Due to their immense density and gravity, it is unlikely that any object could maintain a stable orbit around them.

4. How do scientists study strange matter and neutronium?

Scientists study strange matter and neutronium through theoretical models and simulations, as well as through observations of neutron stars, which are believed to be composed primarily of neutronium. They also use data from high-energy particle collisions to gain a better understanding of the properties of these exotic forms of matter.

5. Could strange matter or neutronium be used for any practical applications?

Currently, there are no known practical applications for strange matter or neutronium. However, further research and understanding of these forms of matter could potentially lead to new technologies in the future.