Rotational Kinematics - A gymnast is performing a

In summary, a gymnast performing a floor routine increases her angular velocity from 2.60 to 5.40 rev/s while rotating through one half of a revolution. Using the equation \vartheta = 1/2 (\omegao + \omegaf) t and solving for t, the time for this maneuver is 0.125 seconds. The mistake was using radians instead of revolutions.
crono_
NOTE: In playing with the symbols it appears that I've made pi to be an exponent...um...so anytime you see that, please disregard it as pi is not meant to be an exponent anywhere here. Thanks!

Homework Statement

A gymnast is performing a floor routine. In a tumbling run she spins through the air, increasing her angular velocity from 2.60 to 5.40 rev/s while rotating through one half of a revolution. How much time does this maneuver take?

[tex]\omega[/tex]o = 2.60 rev/s

[tex]\omega[/tex]f = 5.40 rev/s

t = ?

[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex] rev ---> But she only goes through 1/2 revolution. So this would be [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 2[tex]\pi[/tex] rev / 2 . Or so I thought...

Homework Equations

I figured this equation would be appropriate since all variables, except t, are known.

[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 1/2 ([tex]\omega[/tex]o + [tex]\omega[/tex]f) t

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 1/2 ([tex]\omega[/tex]o + [tex]\omega[/tex]f) t

Solve for t

t = 2[tex]\vartheta[/tex] / ([tex]\omega[/tex]o + [tex]\omega[/tex]f

t = 2 (2[tex]\pi[/tex] rev / 2) / (2.60 + 5.40)

t = 6.2831 [STRIKE]rev [/STRIKE]/ 8 [STRIKE]rev[/STRIKE]/s

t = 0.785s

Buuuut...this is wrong. Any thoughts as I seem to be missing something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] \omega_0 [/itex] and [itex] \omega_f [/itex] are given in rev/s, not rad/s

I didn't know there was a difference...

My textbook says the following:

Angular displacement is often expressed in one of three units. The first is the familiar degree, and it is well known that there are 360 degrees in a circle. The second unit is the revolution (rev), one revolution representing one complete turn of 360°. The most useful unit from a scientific viewpoint, however, is the SI unit called the radian (rad).

I interpreted that as 360 degrees, 1 rev, and 1 rad are all different ways of saying the same thing. 360 degrees = 1 rev = 1 rad

Apparently not?

crono_ said:
I interpreted that as 360 degrees, 1 rev, and 1 rad are all different ways of saying the same thing. 360 degrees = 1 rev = 1 rad

Apparently not?
Nope. Note that the quoted paragraph from your text doesn't define the radian. (I suspect a later paragraph does.)

360° = 1 rev = 2pi radians.

Since your problem used revs, just stick with that. Don't mix units. The angle is 1/2 rev.

Hrmmm...

Okay, so then rather than putting [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 2pi, it should just be [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 1/2 rev.

So the equation should look like:

t = 2 (1/2 rev) / 2.60 rev/s + 5.40 rev/s

t = 0.125 s

Correct?

Correct!

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around a fixed axis.

2. How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

Rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a circular or curved path, while linear kinematics focuses on the motion of objects in a straight line.

3. What does the term "gymnast" refer to in rotational kinematics?

In rotational kinematics, a gymnast refers to an object or body that is rotating around a fixed axis, such as a gymnast performing on a balance beam or a diver rotating in the air.

4. What factors affect the rotational motion of a gymnast?

The rotational motion of a gymnast is affected by factors such as the mass of the gymnast, the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation, and the forces acting on the gymnast, such as gravity and air resistance.

5. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object is rotating around a fixed axis, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.