Calculating deflection of a tube

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum deflection of a PTFE tube with specific dimensions and length. The tube will have an unsupported section and the speaker wants to know the maximum deflection due to its weight. They mention the tube's tensile strength and request help with the calculations, clarifying that it is for a real application. A reference for the appropriate formula is also suggested."
Mu naught
I'd like to calculate the maximum deflection a PTFE tube of 65mm diameter and 5mm thickness. The tube is roughly 3m long and a 1.3m section will be unsupported, I want to know what the maximum deflection the end will experience under it's own weight. I've looked up it's tensile stength which is betweem 10-40 MPa (I don't really understand that unit though)

Could anyone help with this?

Btw, this is not a homework problem this is for a real application.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mu naught said:
I'd like to calculate the maximum deflection a PTFE tube of 65mm diameter and 5mm thickness. The tube is roughly 3m long and a 1.3m section will be unsupported, I want to know what the maximum deflection the end will experience under it's own weight. I've looked up it's tensile stength which is betweem 10-40 MPa (I don't really understand that unit though)

Could anyone help with this?

Btw, this is not a homework problem this is for a real application.

Treat it like any other beam. Roark's is a good reference for the appropriate formula.

CS

1. How do you calculate the deflection of a tube?

The deflection of a tube can be calculated using the formula: D = (PL^3)/(EI), where D is the deflection, P is the load applied, L is the length of the tube, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

2. What is the significance of calculating deflection in a tube?

Calculating deflection in a tube is important in engineering and structural design. It helps determine the stiffness and strength of a tube and ensures that it can withstand the expected load without deforming or failing.

3. How do you determine the moment of inertia for a tube?

The moment of inertia for a tube can be determined by using the formula: I = (π/64)(D^4-d^4), where D is the outer diameter of the tube and d is the inner diameter. This formula assumes that the tube has a circular cross-section.

4. Can the deflection of a tube be reduced?

Yes, the deflection of a tube can be reduced by increasing the tube's stiffness, altering the load distribution, or changing the material of the tube to one with a higher modulus of elasticity.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the deflection of a tube?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the deflection of a tube. The formula used assumes that the tube is made of a homogeneous material and has a circular cross-section. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the deflection, such as temperature changes or corrosion.