Gravitation and magnetic field?

In summary, the Earth and other planets have both gravity and a magnetic field, which work differently. While gravity holds us on the Earth, the magnetic field protects us from the sun. It is not currently possible to create an anti-gravity device. The reason for why planets orbit the sun is due to their speed, which allows them to constantly miss the sun as they fall towards it. The position of the planet is determined by its speed and starting location, not centrifugal force.
ugur0072
I am wondering about that the Earth ( and other planets or suns) have gravitation and magnetic field and that they are working different. I know that the gravitation makes us to stay on the Earth while the magnetic field is protecting us from the sun.

another thing i am wondering is that, can you make an antigravity and make things fly by making a strong enough magnets. Example if you make very strong "southpol" magnet on south and "northpol" magnet on north so the will resistant each other and fly?. I know it sounds little crazy but it sounds like possible for me :P

(Sorry for my bad english btw. Just ask if you don't understand what i am writing :P)

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything with mass has gravity.

Magnetism requires a moving charge.

To get an anti-gravity device you need to cancel out gravity. As far as we're aware this is not possible.

The Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to lift anything.

You can't have just a south pole or just a north pole, all magnets have both.

you can however change or control directions of moving charged particles using magnetic fields.

There are already trains that levitate themselves using magnetic fields, but this only works because the magnets are very close to each other. You could not use it to fly around or anything.

What would you like to know about gravity and magnetic fields of the planets?

I don't know very much about this, but the reason for why the planets is going around the Sun, is because the planets have speed, and higher speed means longer away from sun. (Like a roulette) I am right or is it another reason for why the planets are not crashing in the sun but going around it.

ugur0072 said:
I don't know very much about this, but the reason for why the planets is going around the Sun, is because the planets have speed, and higher speed means longer away from sun. (Like a roulette) I am right or is it another reason for why the planets are not crashing in the sun but going around it.

I think this site could help illustrate how orbit works. Essentially the orbiting object has enough speed that as it falls it misses the object it is orbiting.

EDIT: this animation is a lot more informative

Last edited:
ryan_m_b said:
I think this site could help illustrate how orbit works. Essentially the orbiting object has enough speed that as it falls it misses the object it is orbiting.

EDIT: this animation is a lot more informative

Ok, thanks :D . I am understanding it better now. Does it mean that the position of the planet is not because of the speed, but because of its start location?

its because of the centrifugal force.

ugur0072 said:
Ok, thanks :D . I am understanding it better now. Does it mean that the position of the planet is not because of the speed, but because of its start location?

I'm not sure what you mean by "position of the planet". Do you mean why is the planet's orbit like it is?

The orbit occurs because the speed is enough to ensure it doesn't fall towards the sun but not enough to fly away.

It isn't the centrifugal force.

As the planet orbits, it is falling towards the sun. But because of the speed it is orbiting at it constantly misses.

1. What is the difference between gravity and magnetism?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. Magnetism, on the other hand, is a force between charged particles and is caused by the movement of electrons within atoms.

2. How are gravitation and magnetic fields related?

Gravitation and magnetic fields are both forms of force fields. However, they are fundamentally different in their nature and their effects on objects. Gravitational fields are always attractive and act on all objects with mass, while magnetic fields can be attractive or repulsive and act on objects with electric charge.

3. How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its acceleration on a test mass. This is known as the gravitational acceleration and is usually denoted by the symbol "g". The higher the value of g, the stronger the gravitational field.

4. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

Mass is the property of matter that determines the strength of its gravitational attraction to other objects. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. However, the distance between objects also plays a role in the strength of the gravitational force.

5. Can gravitational and magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Gravitational fields cannot be shielded or blocked as they are a fundamental force of nature. However, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials such as iron or steel. This is because these materials are able to redirect the magnetic field lines, reducing their strength in a specific area.