Torque and Power required to turn a plate

In summary, the conversation is discussing a small project for class involving a locking Geneva mechanism that turns a cast iron table in 0.5 seconds. The table's mass is 7300 kg and the calculated alpha is 10.08 rad/s^2. The calculations for torque and power are discussed, with the final power required being 1867Kw. The issue of the slotted wheel's acceleration and deceleration is also brought up.
superman22x
I have a question. I am working on a small project for class. We have locking Geneva mechanism that turns a table made of cast iron 72* in .5 seconds. The table mass is calculated to be 7300 kg (D=1.25m, h=.350m).

Based on the 72* in .5 seconds, I calculated alpha to be 10.08 rad/s^2. Using I=m*r^2/2, I calculated I to be 612.3. Torque (Nm)=alpha*I=6172N*m.

For power, I used the equation P (Kw) = (Torque*2*pi*rpm)/60,000. And I used alpha*t to solve for the RPM, which ended up being 5.04 rad/s = 2888 rpm. My power required ends up being 1867Kw which seems ridiculously high. Am I calculating this correctly?

Let me know of any other info you need.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't know what a Geneva mechanism was before this thread.

http://www.brockeng.com/mechanism/Geneva.htm

5.04 rad/s is < 60 rotations per minute.
2 pi rad/s is 1 rotation/second = 60 rpm, so I don't know where you got 2888 rpm.

A bigger problem is that the continuously rotating wheel accelerates the slotted wheel for the first 0.25 seconds, but decelerates it in the next 0.25 seconds, and it will probably get most of the kinetic energy from the first 0.25 seconds back. The continuously moving wheel will than have the time that the slotted wheel is stationary to get back to its origional speed.

1. What is torque and power when it comes to turning a plate?

Torque is the measure of rotational force applied to an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. In the case of turning a plate, torque is the force needed to rotate the plate, and power is the energy required to rotate the plate at a given speed.

2. How is torque and power related to the size and weight of the plate?

The torque required to turn a plate is directly proportional to the size and weight of the plate. This means that a larger and heavier plate will require more torque to rotate compared to a smaller and lighter plate. Similarly, the power needed to turn a plate will also increase with its size and weight.

3. What factors determine the torque and power required to turn a plate?

The main factors that determine the torque and power required to turn a plate are the size and weight of the plate, the rotational speed, and the friction between the plate and its surface. Other factors may include the material of the plate and the force applied to turn it.

4. How can torque and power be calculated for turning a plate?

To calculate the torque required to turn a plate, you can use the formula T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance between the point of rotation and the force. To calculate power, you can use the formula P = T x ω, where P is power, T is torque, and ω is the angular velocity of the plate.

5. How does friction affect the torque and power needed to turn a plate?

Friction between the plate and its surface creates a resistance force that opposes the rotational movement. This means that more torque and power will be needed to overcome the friction and rotate the plate. The type of surface and the amount of lubrication will also affect the amount of torque and power required.