IYPT question on elastic space and need ideas for a hypothesis to investigate

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on elastic space and gravity wells, and the need for a proper hypothesis to investigate within realistic parameters. The question asks if it is possible to define and measure the apparent "gravitational constant" in a system with massive balls rolling on a stretched horizontal membrane. The speaker is relatively new to the subject and is looking for ideas that could be investigated with equipment from a school lab, potentially related to the theories of relativity and gravity. The conversation also touches on the rules of the tournament allowing for help from others, with the speaker asking for ideas for their hypothesis.
vishnu manoj
I am participating in the IYPT and i have encountered a question on elastic space which relates to gravity wells. I need to get a proper hypothesis that can be investigated within realistic parameters. I unable to get any new ideas because i am relatively new to the subject and don't have much to go on. Here's the question-

The dynamics and apparent interactions of massive balls rolling on a stretched
horizontal membrane are often used to illustrate gravitation. Investigate the system
further. Is it possible to define and measure the apparent “gravitational constant” in
such a “world”?

i wanted to know if i could link my hypothesis with the theories of relativity which could be investigated with equipment from a school lab of course and whether you could suggest some other ideas i should investigate my hypothesis on. It does not necessarily have to be related to gravity wells but related in some way to gravity and their interactions with objects with mass, gravity wells is just something i came up with
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
vishnu manoj said:
I am participating in the IYPT and i have encountered a question on elastic space which relates to gravity wells. I need to get a proper hypothesis that can be investigated within realistic parameters. I unable to get any new ideas because i am relatively new to the subject and don't have much to go on. Here's the question-

The dynamics and apparent interactions of massive balls rolling on a stretched
horizontal membrane are often used to illustrate gravitation. Investigate the system
further. Is it possible to define and measure the apparent “gravitational constant” in
such a “world”?

i wanted to know if i could link my hypothesis with the theories of relativity which could be investigated with equipment from a school lab of course and whether you could suggest some other ideas i should investigate my hypothesis on. It does not necessarily have to be related to gravity wells but related in some way to gravity and their interactions with objects with mass, gravity wells is just something i came up with
Thanks

Do the rules of the tournament allow you to ask help of others?

yes the tournament allows people to help others

vishnu manoj said:
yes the tournament allows people to help others

Can you link us to the rules which show this?

thats fine but i was hoping someone could give me some ideas for my hypothesis

1. What is elastic space?

Elastic space refers to the concept that space itself can stretch or compress due to the presence of matter or energy.

2. How does elastic space affect our everyday lives?

Elastic space has a very small effect on our everyday lives and is only noticeable on a large scale, such as in the expansion of the universe. However, it is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. What is the difference between elastic space and spacetime?

Elastic space and spacetime are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Spacetime refers to the merging of space and time into a single four-dimensional continuum, while elastic space specifically refers to the stretching and compressing of space itself.

4. How can elastic space be measured or observed?

Elastic space can be measured indirectly through the effects it has on the movement and behavior of matter and energy. This can be observed through experiments and observations of the expansion of the universe, gravitational lensing, and other phenomena.

5. What are some potential hypotheses to investigate regarding elastic space?

Some potential hypotheses to investigate could include the relationship between elastic space and the expansion rate of the universe, the effects of elastic space on the behavior of light and gravitational waves, and the potential for elastic space to explain discrepancies in our current understanding of the universe.