Determine if vector b is a linear combination of vectors a1, a2, a3.

In summary, the book asks to not combine the a vectors, but to just test them one by one to see if they separately are linear combinations of b.
roids
Hi guys. I've solved an exercise but the solution sheet says what doesn't make sense to me. Could you please help with this problem?

Determine if vector b is a linear combination of vectors a1, a2, a3.

a1=[1, -2, 0], a2=[0, 1, 2], a3=[5, -6, 8], b=[2, -1, 6].

b is a linear combination when there exist scalars x1, x2, x3 such that x1*a1 + x2*a2 + x3*a3 = b. right?

I put a's in a coefficient matrix and b in the augmented column. [a1 a2 a3 | b]. Row-reduced it produces a consistent system (although I get x3 a free variable - third row all zeroes). But the solution sheet says b is not a linear combination of the a vectors. Where is the catch? Should the RREF have a unique solution?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi roids! welcome to pf! :smile:
roids said:
I put a's in a coefficient matrix and b in the augmented column. [a1 a2 a3 | b]. Row-reduced it produces a consistent system (although I get x3 a free variable - third row all zeroes).

show us what you got :confused:

Your solution sheet is wrong: ##2 a_1 + 3 a_2 + 0 a_3 = b##.

Argh: jbunnii beat me to it.

Thanks for the responses fine gentlemen. The book with the solutions is David Lay - Linear Algebra, fourth edition.

Can you please take a look at the same problem someone asked here, where the answerer said that no, b is not a linear combination? https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=531233

While you and this someone's from Berkeley document say that b is indeed is a linear combination: http://math.berkeley.edu/~honigska/M54HW01Sols.pdf (page 6, exercise 14)

I attached the original problem and solution from the book. Can it be that the book is asking to not combine the a vectors and just test them one by one with b to see if they separately are linear combinations of b?

Attachments

• ex.PNG
    ex.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 514
  • ans.PNG
    ans.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 508
Last edited by a moderator:

roids said:
Can you please take a look at the same problem someone asked here, where the answerer said that no, b is not a linear combination? https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=531233
[edit] OK, I had to re-read the thread, and actually it is agreeing with us. I'll elaborate below.
I attached the original problem and solution from the book. Can it be that the book is asking to not combine the a vectors and just test them one by one with b to see if they separately are linear combinations of b?
No, the question is clearly worded. I'm sure your interpretation was correct. The solution is simply wrong.

To elaborate on what Alchemista said in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=531233

He is saying that for any ##t \in \mathbb{R}##, if we set ##x_1 = 2 - 5t##, ##x_2 = 3 - 4t##, and ##x_3 = t##, then we will have ##x_1 a_1 + x_2 a_2 + x_3 a_3 = b##. Thus, not only is there a solution, there are infinitely many solutions. The solution I mentioned above in post #3 is a special case of this, with ##t = 0##.

The reason for this is that, for any ##t##,
$$-5t a_1 - 4t a_2 + t a_3 = 0$$

Thanks so much jbunnii, you made my day. Love the notation by alchemista.

Have a good day!

1. How do I determine if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors?

To determine if a vector b is a linear combination of vectors a1, a2, and a3, you need to find the scalars (numbers) c1, c2, and c3 that will satisfy the equation b = c1a1 + c2a2 + c3a3. This means that vector b can be written as a combination of the other vectors, with the scalars as coefficients.

2. Can I use any method to determine if a vector is a linear combination?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to determine if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors. These include the row reduction method, the augmented matrix method, and the determinant method.

3. What does it mean if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors?

If a vector b can be written as a linear combination of other vectors a1, a2, and a3, it means that vector b lies in the span of the other vectors. In other words, vector b can be created by scaling and adding the other vectors together.

4. What if I can't find the scalars that satisfy the equation?

If you are unable to find scalars c1, c2, and c3 that satisfy the equation b = c1a1 + c2a2 + c3a3, then vector b is not a linear combination of vectors a1, a2, and a3. This means that vector b is not in the span of the other vectors and cannot be written as a combination of them.

5. Can I determine if a vector is a linear combination of more than three vectors?

Yes, the same principles and methods can be applied to determine if a vector is a linear combination of any number of vectors. The only difference is that there will be more scalar variables (c1, c2, c3, etc.) to solve for in the equation.