Austenite to Ferrite and Martensite

by Woopydalan
Tags: austenite, ferrite, martensite
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Nov11-13, 06:31 PM
P: 746
Hello,

I am wondering how I could create only ferrite and martensite from a hypoeutectoid plain carbon steel. I am looking at the TTT diagram, and I don't see how this can be done. If I quench to create martensite, and then temper it I will have ferrite and cementite. I don't see how I could separate the ferrite from the cementite. I don't see pure ferrite anywhere on the TTT diagram, is it a metastable phase that is not shown?

Also, is it possible to create pure ferrite from austenite?
Attached Thumbnails
TTT-curve-for-carbon-steel-AISI-1050.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
smpowell
Mar22-14, 06:36 PM
P: 1
Start by looking at an iron-iron carbide phase diagram. For example, if you take 1030 steel and heat it to 1700F, will become 100% austenite.

Then cool it to 1400F and let it sit for a long time. You will then have a mixture of ferrite and austinite. This is the area between A1 & A3 on your TTT diagram. Note that the transformation time is in the 1000 to 10000 second range.

Use a fast quench to get the steel from 1400F to below the martensite start temperature.

You need a fast quench to prevent any transformation of the austinite before it reaches the martenisite start temperature.

Register to reply