Register to reply

HQET Lagrangian identity

by Einj
Tags: hqet, identity, lagrangian
Share this thread:
Einj
Apr22-14, 08:51 AM
P: 328
Hi everyone. I'm studying Heavy Quark Effective Theory and I have some problems in proving an equality. I'm am basically following Wise's book "Heavy Quark Physics" where, in section 4.1, he claims the following identity:

$$
\bar Q_v\sigma^{\mu\nu}v_\mu Q_v=0
$$

Does any of you have an idea why this is true??

I think that an important identity to use in order to prove that should be [itex]Q_v=P_+Q_v[/itex], where [itex]P_\pm=(1\pm \displaystyle{\not} v)/2[/itex] are projection operators.

Thanks a lot
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
andrien
Apr22-14, 12:15 PM
P: 1,020
what is ##v_\mu##?
Einj
Apr22-14, 12:30 PM
Is the four velocity of the heavy quark. However, I don't think it really matters. The only important thing is that the P's are projectors. I think I solved it, it's just an extremely boring algebra of gamma matrices

andrien
Apr22-14, 12:43 PM
HQET Lagrangian identity

Yes, that is what it seems. But if you go in the rest frame of the particle, the term you will be having is like ##σ^{4\nu}##,which is a off diagonal matrix in the representation of Mandl and Shaw ( or may be Sakurai).Those projection operators are however diagonal in this representation and hence it's zero.
Einj
Apr22-14, 12:46 PM
Yes, it sounds correct. Do you think this is enough to say that it is always zero?
andrien
Apr22-14, 12:55 PM
Of course, you can always go to the rest frame of a heavy quark. That is how we evaluated the matrix elements in qft in old days.
Einj
Apr22-14, 12:57 PM
Great sounds good! Thanks
Hepth
Apr23-14, 06:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 472
I thought it was because : (bear with me i dont remember the slash command for the forums right now) the equation of motion:

$$ v^{\mu}\gamma_{\mu} Q_v = Q_v$$
$$ \bar{Q}_v v^{\mu}\gamma_{\mu} = \bar{Q}$$

so
$$ v_{\mu} \bar{Q} \left( \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{\nu} - \gamma^{\nu} \gamma^{\mu}\right) Q $$
becomes
$$ \bar{Q} \left( \gamma^{\nu} - \gamma^{\nu} \right) Q $$

Register to reply