Register to reply

A different definition of radiation flux

by shanepitts
Tags: definition, flux, radiation
Share this thread:
shanepitts
Aug5-14, 11:50 AM
P: 15
Would anyone have a different explanation and maybe an example of radiation flux? Here is the Wikipedia definition "Radiation flux is a measure of the amount of radiation received by an object from a given source", which is quite clearly explained.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Drakkith
Aug5-14, 01:16 PM
Mentor
P: 12,005
Is there something you didn't understand about the wikipedia explanation that we can help you with?
shanepitts
Aug5-14, 02:10 PM
P: 15
I am not sure. I fathom that, for example, on the amount of radiation we receive from the Sun is the radiation flux. Is this accurate?

Drakkith
Aug5-14, 03:07 PM
Mentor
P: 12,005
A different definition of radiation flux

That looks correct to me, though I think the term "radiant flux" is more appropriate for the sun since we usually only care about the EM radiation of the sun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiant_flux

Radiant flux is only concerned with EM radiation, while radiation flux can refer to any kind of radiation, including particle radiation.

Register to reply