Calculating Pool Depth with 48 Degrees Depression Angle

In summary, the observator is trying to determine the depth of a swimming pool based on a coin located on the pool's floor and a depression angle of 48 degrees. The swimming pool's depth is known to be 2.6 metres. This is a common situation where the pool may appear shallow due to the smaller depression angle. Using the given information, the depth that the observator can see is calculated.
arvin305
An observator is looking at a coin that is located on a swimming pool's floor with a depression Angle of 48 degrees. Knowing that the swimming pool's depth is 2.6 metres, calculate the depth that the observator can see.

(Usually when you look at a swimming pool from with a smaller depression angle, you have the impression that the swimming pool isn't deep even though it is, that is the situation in this problem)

P.S. I study in a french school in Quebec, if you don't understand something i said please tell me.

Here is an image that I made to help myself understand the problem

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/340/physics7qo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh , yeah the diagram i drew can be wrong... As i said i made it myself to understand this question.

1. How do you calculate pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle?

To calculate pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle, you will need to use the following formula: Pool Depth = Tangent (48 degrees) x Distance from Pool Edge to Water's Edge. This will give you the depth of the pool at the deepest point, where the water meets the pool wall.

2. What is a depression angle in relation to pool depth?

A depression angle is the angle at which the pool floor slopes down from the edge of the pool to the deepest point. In the case of calculating pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle, this means that the pool floor slopes at a 48-degree angle from the pool edge to the deepest point.

3. Can the pool depth be calculated with any depression angle?

Yes, pool depth can be calculated with any depression angle. However, the formula for calculating pool depth will vary depending on the depression angle. The formula for a 48-degree depression angle is different than the formula for a 60-degree depression angle, for example.

4. How accurate is the calculation of pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle?

The calculation of pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle can be quite accurate if all measurements are taken correctly. However, factors such as uneven pool walls or an irregular pool shape may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Why is it important to calculate pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle?

Calculating pool depth with a 48-degree depression angle is important for safety reasons. It ensures that the pool is deep enough for safe diving and swimming, and also helps to determine how much water will be needed to fill the pool. It is also important for proper pool maintenance, as knowing the pool depth can help determine the appropriate amount of chemicals to add.