Proving Equivalence of y is Rational, y/3 is Rational, 2y+5 is Rational

• Thread starter PowerStrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, the statements "y is a rational number," "y/3 is a rational number," and "2y+5 is a rational number" are all equivalent. This can be proven by condensing 2y+5 into a single fraction with a nonzero integer numerator and denominator, and using the fact that any fraction with a nonzero integer numerator and denominator is a rational number.
PowerStrike
Well I have to prove the following statements are equivalent:
a. y is a rational number
b. y/3 is a rational number
c. 2y+5 is a rational number
So a -> b -> c -> a

I'm not quite sure how you are suppose to prove something is rational however.
I started like this:

* y = q/r Where q & r are integers, r is not 0, no common factors other than 1 [Therefore rational]

* y/3
q/r/3 ... (q/r)(1/3)= q/3r ... Which is rational because everything is integer math?

* 2y+5 ... 2(q/r) + (5/1) ... same reason

This doesn't seem to work like the ones I've done before with proving something is even (2n) or odd (2n+1). Is there some step I'm not getting?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why they can't have common factors (other than 1), 8/6 is a rational number too. I think it's sufficient that it can be written as p/q where q is non-zero and p and q are integers. It should be too hard then, it actually seems trivial.

If y = p/q (with p and q as above), then y/3 is p/(3q) and 3q is still an integer since integer*integer is another integer, hence y/3 is rational too. Etcetera, I assume.

For 2y+5 you should condense it into a single fraction with nonzero integer numerator and denominator.

0rthodontist said:
For 2y+5 you should condense it into a single fraction with nonzero integer numerator and denominator.
Why can't a fraction with a numerator of 0 be a rational number. As long as the denominator is not 0, we have y = 0 / r = 0 (a rational number).
Yes, I agree with the nonzero integer denominator part, but not numerator!
Am I missing something? :confused:

Oh yeah, right. I meant denominator. I kind of added the nonzero part at the end without thinking.

What does it mean to prove equivalence?

Proving equivalence means showing that two statements or expressions have the same meaning or value. In this case, we are trying to show that y is rational if and only if y/3 and 2y+5 are also rational.

Why is it important to prove equivalence?

Proving equivalence allows us to make connections between different mathematical concepts and to show that seemingly unrelated statements or expressions are actually equivalent. It also helps us to better understand the properties and relationships between different mathematical concepts.

How can we prove that y is rational if y/3 and 2y+5 are also rational?

We can prove this by using logical reasoning and mathematical operations. We will start by assuming that y is rational, and then use this assumption to show that y/3 and 2y+5 are also rational. We can also prove this using the definition of rational numbers, which states that a number is rational if it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

Can we use a counterexample to disprove this statement?

Yes, we can use a counterexample to disprove this statement. A counterexample is an example that shows the statement is false. In this case, a counterexample would be any value of y that is irrational. If y is irrational, then y/3 and 2y+5 would also be irrational, which would disprove the statement.

What are some applications of proving equivalence in mathematics?

Proving equivalence is important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and number theory. It allows us to solve equations, make connections between different mathematical concepts, and discover new properties and relationships between them. It is also used in real-world applications, such as in computer science and engineering, to ensure the accuracy and consistency of mathematical models and calculations.