Qsp Calculation for NaCl+AgNO3: Determine Precipitate

In summary, the question is about calculating the ion product (Qsp) to determine if a precipitate will form when 125 mL of .00500 M sodium chloride is mixed with 125 mL of .00100 M silver nitrate solution. The net ionic equation for this reaction is Cl- + Ag+ --> AgCl, and the coefficients used for Qsp are from this equation. The balanced net ionic equation for AgCl precipitation is Cl- + Ag+ --> AgCl.
pmahesh107
Calculate the ion product to determine if a precipitate will form when 125 mL .00500 M sodium chloride is mixed with 125 mL .00100 M silver nitrate solution.

NaCl + AgNO3 -> NaNO3 + AgCl

Net ionic equation = 2AgCl -> 2Ag + Cl2

[Ag+] before = .00100 after = .00050
[Cl-] before = .00500 after = .00250

My question was about the Qsp. Would the Qsp = (.00050)(.00250) or Qsp = (.00050)^2(.00250) I don't understand which co-efficients to look at, the one in the equation or the one in the net-ionic equation. Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is very confusing.
The 1st and 2nd equation are different...as well flipped in a way...

you are saying one of the products is Chlorine gas... and the reactant is AgCl, which is a product of the first equation.
the netionic eq qould be Cl(-) + Ag(+) --> AgCl, and i don't know why you are trying to balance it out.
Remember its a solution, so you can have Cl(-) ions by themselves.

Are you trying to find the reaction quotient??

pmahesh107 said:
Net ionic equation = 2AgCl -> 2Ag + Cl2

It is not a correct net ionic equation for this reaction. If you mix soluble silver salt with chlorides, silver chloride precipitates.

why is it Cl(-) + Ag(+) --> AgCl ? don't you have to balance it out? i asked my teacher and she said to use the co-efficient from the net ionic equation

pmahesh107 said:
why is it Cl(-) + Ag(+) --> AgCl ? don't you have to balance it out? i asked my teacher and she said to use the co-efficient from the net ionic equation

And Cl- + Ag+ --> AgCl is the balanced net ionic equation of AgCl precipitation.

1. How do you calculate the Qsp for a reaction between NaCl and AgNO3?

To calculate the Qsp for a reaction, you need to know the molar solubility of each compound involved. This can be determined experimentally or from a solubility table. Once you have the molar solubility, you can use the formula Qsp = [Na+]^m [Cl^-]^n [Ag+]^p [NO3^-]^q, where m, n, p, and q are the coefficients from the balanced chemical equation.

2. What is the significance of the Qsp value for NaCl and AgNO3?

The Qsp value represents the equilibrium concentration of ions in a solution. If the Qsp value is greater than the solubility product (Ksp) for the reaction, a precipitate will form. If the Qsp value is less than Ksp, no precipitate will form.

3. Can you determine the type of precipitate formed from the Qsp calculation for NaCl and AgNO3?

Yes, the type of precipitate can be determined from the stoichiometric coefficients in the Qsp formula. In this case, the coefficients for NaCl and AgNO3 are both 1, indicating a 1:1 ratio. This means that the precipitate formed will be a 1:1 ratio of NaCl and AgNO3.

4. How does temperature affect the Qsp calculation for NaCl and AgNO3?

Temperature can affect the solubility of a compound, which in turn can affect the Qsp value. Generally, as temperature increases, the solubility of a compound also increases, leading to a higher Qsp value. However, this is not always the case and can vary depending on the specific reaction.

5. Can Qsp be used to predict the formation of a precipitate in any reaction?

No, Qsp can only be used to predict the formation of a precipitate in reactions where one or more of the products are insoluble. For reactions where all products are soluble, Qsp cannot be calculated and other methods, such as calculating the Ksp value, must be used to predict precipitation.