Why do my eyelashes look enormous

• Thread starter Mr.V.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnification in microscopes and how it works through the use of lenses. The participants also mention the importance of understanding the size of the eye-piece and objective in relation to magnification. The conversation ends with an explanation of why objects appear magnified when viewed through a microscope, as well as the role of light in the process.
Mr.V.
...when looking through a micrcoscope? I for the most part understand why the image on the slide is magnified. I'm not quite sure why anything that sits in front of the eyepiece gets magnified.

This must have to do somehow with its compound nature of the microscope because when I look through a single magnifying glass, my eyelashes look normal sized.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yeah, I had that same problem too... the bio people might be able to help you though. I don't remember using microscopes in physics much, mostly in biology.

Which grade are you? Normally when refraction and lens are taught in schools the texts also give examples of how things like telescope, microscope, etc work.
Do you have knowledge about the size of eye-piece and objective of microscope. The eye piece makes a virtual image of the real inverted image made by objective which is real. Probably you must refer some books of higher grades.

Mr.V. said:
I'm not quite sure why anything that sits in front of the eyepiece gets magnified.
It's not actually magnified as I once found out, it is merely brought into focus. Try this experiment. Place a toothpick across the lens and look through the microscope. The toothpick will seem to be magnified. But now, move your eye back very slowly so that you can see both the portion of the toothpick that covers the lens and the portion that does not. You should see that both parts are actually the same size, the difference being that the part over the lens is focussed while the other part is not. It looks big because it's close AND it seems to be in focus.

Normally we cannot see close objects like our eyelashes or a toothpick that is too close because light this close cannot be focussed on the retina. But when we use a microscope then the light coming into our eye is directed (through lenses) and aimed differently. I don't know the optical details but I suspect that this light allows the toothpick (or eyelash) to cast its shadow on our retina since the incident light is already set to project there.

1. Why do some people have longer eyelashes than others?

The length of eyelashes is primarily determined by genetics. Some people are naturally born with longer eyelashes due to their genetic makeup.

2. Do eyelashes serve any biological purpose?

Yes, eyelashes serve as a protective barrier for the eyes. They help to keep dust, debris, and other particles from entering the eye and causing irritation or damage.

3. Can I make my eyelashes grow longer?

While there are various products and techniques that claim to promote eyelash growth, the most effective way to encourage longer eyelashes is by taking care of your overall health. Eating a well-balanced diet, staying hydrated, and getting enough sleep can help promote healthy eyelash growth.

4. Why do some people's eyelashes appear thicker than others?

Similar to eyelash length, the thickness of eyelashes is also determined by genetics. Some people are born with thicker eyelashes due to the number and size of hair follicles on their eyelids.

5. Can I damage my eyelashes by using mascara or false eyelashes?

When used correctly and with proper hygiene, mascara and false eyelashes should not cause any damage to your natural eyelashes. However, it is important to remove all makeup and adhesive properly to prevent any potential damage or irritation.