Resonance: harmonic resonance

In summary: Harmonic resonance is a physical phenomenon, and has nothing to do with metaphysics or epistemology.In summary, the conversation centered around researching the concept of resonance and its history. The term "resonance" refers to the tendency of a system to absorb more energy when the frequency of the oscillations matches the system's natural frequency of vibration. The concept of resonance is observed rather than advocated, and the term "harmonic resonance" was brought up, but the specifics of what was found were unclear. Additionally, the conversation was questioned for being posted in the wrong forum, as resonance is a physical phenomenon rather than a metaphysical or epistemological one.
lilcupcake
I'm researching theory, resonance.
All I found was resonance as the name of phenomena although I need to figure out who and when it was advocated. Does anyone know when resonance was advocated by whom?
I found the term harmonic resonance. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please be more specific about what you're looking for.

lilcupcake said:
I'm researching theory, resonance.

From the Wikipedia entry on Resonance:

"In physics, resonance is the tendency of a system to absorb more energy when the frequency of the oscillations matches the system's natural frequency of vibration (its resonant frequency) than it does at other frequencies."

All I found was resonance as the name of phenomena although I need to figure out who and when it was advocated. Does anyone know when resonance was advocated by whom?

I'm not sure of what you are looking for. Resonance isn't something that is advocated, it is something that is observed to happen. Asking who advocated resonance is like asking who advocated gravity. Both phenomena exist whether anyone agrees with them or not.

I found the term harmonic resonance. Can anyone help me?

I had not heard of harmonic resonance before, so I Googled it. I found several different types of websites, some of which were pure quackery. Can you be specific about what it is that you found?

Also, was there any special reason you posted this thread in the Metaphysics and Epistemology Forum?

What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system is exposed to a periodic force or frequency that matches its natural frequency, causing it to vibrate with increased amplitude.

What is harmonic resonance?

Harmonic resonance is a type of resonance that occurs when the applied frequency is an integer multiple of the natural frequency of the object or system, resulting in a sustained and amplified vibration.

What are some examples of harmonic resonance?

Some examples of harmonic resonance include a tuning fork vibrating when struck, a singer shattering a glass with their voice, and a bridge collapsing due to high winds.

How does harmonic resonance affect musical instruments?

Harmonic resonance plays a crucial role in the production of sound in musical instruments. When a string or air column is set into vibration, it creates a series of harmonics that resonate and produce the characteristic sound of the instrument.

What are some practical applications of harmonic resonance?

Harmonic resonance has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, acoustics, and medicine. It is used in designing structures to withstand vibrations, creating musical instruments, and even in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.