Object dropped from plane velocity problem

In summary, the hamper of medical supplies was dropped from a height of 3680m with a horizontal velocity of 136 m/s from a plane during a practice run over the ocean. Using the equation v_f^2=v_i^2+2ad and substituting in the variables and values, the overall velocity of the hamper at the instant it strikes the surface of the ocean is 268.6 m/s. The horizontal velocity of the hamper remains constant at 136 m/s, while the vertical velocity can be found using the equations vy(t)= -9.8t and y(t)= -4.9t^2+3680. By solving for t and using vy(t) to find the vertical velocity
yankee
A plane drops a hamper of medical supplies from a height of 3680m during a practice run over the ocean. The plane's horizontal velocity was 136 m/s at the instant the hamper was dropped. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the overall velocity of the hamper at the instant it strikes the surface of the ocean? Answer in units of m/s.

Please help- I don't know where to start or what formla to use!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure the speed of the plane is irrelevant since the hamper was dropped vertically and thus did not have an initial vertical velocity. Assuming this is correct, this is just a classic free-fall problem using the equation

[itex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2ad[/itex]

Here d is the height, a is gravity, and vi is zero. Putting in these variables and then their values, the answer would be:

[itex]v_f=\sqrt{2gh}=\sqrt{(2)(9.8)(3680)}=268.6 \frac{m}{s}[/itex]

Josh

Last edited:
kreil, I disagree. I don't see any way to drop something from an airplane, negating the horizontal speed of the airplane. The speed of the airplane is important since the hamper will have that initial horizontal speed. You have two equations: vertical acceleration is -9.8 so vertical speed is vy(t)= -9.8t and vertical height is y(t)= -4.9t2+ 3680. Set that equal to 0 and solve for t to find the time when the hamper hits the water. Use vy(t)= -9.8 t to find the horizontal velocity at that point.
Horizontal acceleration is 0 so the hamper will still have horizontal velocity 136 m/s when it hits the water. Use both horizontal and vertical velocities to find the "magnitude of the overall velocity of the hamper at the instant it strikes the surface of the ocean".

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object dropped from a plane?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an object dropped from a plane is v = g * t, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

At what rate does the velocity of an object dropped from a plane increase?

The velocity of an object dropped from a plane increases at a constant rate of 9.8 m/s^2, which is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect the velocity of an object dropped from a plane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the velocity of an object dropped from a plane. As the object falls, it pushes against air particles, creating a force that opposes its motion and decreases its acceleration.

Does the mass of the object affect its velocity when dropped from a plane?

The mass of the object does not affect its velocity when dropped from a plane. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force of gravity acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass. Therefore, objects of different masses will experience the same acceleration due to gravity and will reach the ground at the same velocity.

What other factors besides gravity can affect the velocity of an object dropped from a plane?

Besides gravity, air resistance, and mass, other factors such as the height from which the object is dropped and the shape and size of the object can also affect its velocity. For example, a larger surface area can create more air resistance and slow down the object's velocity, while a smaller surface area can decrease air resistance and increase the object's velocity.