Magnetic distortion of spacetime

In summary, a physicist has proposed that magnetic fields may smooth bent space, which could potentially challenge the concept of an early Universe growth spurt. However, this conclusion is based on some assumptions and it would be beneficial to see more evidence and research supporting this idea.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.nature.com/nsu/010614/010614-6.html

Einstein's theory of relativity tells us that gravity bends space. Now a physicist at the University of Portsmouth, UK, has worked out that magnetic fields may smooth bent space, casting doubt on the growth spurt that is proposed to have built the early Universe.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
im not sure if this is old news, however it is an interesting
article, if this is correct then "spacetime" becomes an even
more perplexing ,"medium".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wolram
however it is an interesting
article, if this is correct then "spacetime" becomes an even
more perplexing ,"medium". [/B]

Thanks for bringing it up wolram.
I would like to hear more of the issue of magnetic field - gravity interaction.

My first thoughts tend to indicate the opposite conclusion: It seems to me strong static magnetic fields increase the energy density of the vacuum, and thus ADD to the mass-energy content, thus, if anything, increases the curvature rather than 'straightening' it out.

My first impression though is that this author based his deductions on some assumptions: He said:

"Likewise, if space is distorted by gravity, magnetic field lines try to straighten it out again."

I believe this has never been shown to be true...if someone can show otherwise, that this is based on some sort of evidence, please present the info. I have a hard time accepting this assumption.
I seem to remember seeing evidence from quantum field theory that a static magnetic field is not a affected by gravity field. I'd like to hear other's opinions in that regard.

Creator :smile:

Last edited:

Originally posted by Creator

My first impression though is that this author based his deductions on some assumptions: He said:

"Likewise, if space is distorted by gravity, magnetic field lines try to straighten it out again."

If I'm reading the artical correctly, this is not one of Tsgas' assumptions. Rather, it seems to be his conclusion. How he reached this conclusion is not shown, I too would like to dig a little and see if I can find some of his research and what evidence he sites.

1. What is magnetic distortion of spacetime?

Magnetic distortion of spacetime refers to the phenomenon where the presence of a strong magnetic field can warp the fabric of spacetime, which is the 4-dimensional continuum in which all physical events occur.

2. How does magnetic distortion of spacetime occur?

Magnetic distortion of spacetime occurs due to the interaction between a magnetic field and the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This interaction causes the magnetic field to bend and curve the fabric of spacetime, similar to how a heavy object placed on a trampoline would warp the surface.

3. What are the effects of magnetic distortion of spacetime?

The effects of magnetic distortion of spacetime can vary depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the object causing the distortion. In extreme cases, it can lead to gravitational lensing, where light is bent and distorted, or even create black holes.

4. Can we observe magnetic distortion of spacetime?

Yes, we can observe magnetic distortion of spacetime through the use of specialized instruments such as gravitational wave detectors. These instruments can detect tiny ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by massive objects, including those affected by magnetic fields.

5. How does magnetic distortion of spacetime relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Magnetic distortion of spacetime is a consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This theory predicts that the presence of a magnetic field can also contribute to the curvature of spacetime, leading to the phenomenon of magnetic distortion.