How do we make sense of the saying, Only your mind can put an end to reality?

• Thread starter Thallium
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reality and the role of the mind in shaping it. Mentat proposes that our mind contains our subjective experience and thus determines our reality. The original poster, Thallium, agrees with this idea but adds that through meditation, we can change our perception of reality. Royce brings up comedian Robin Williams' quote about reality being a complex concept.
Thallium
How can we understand this:

Only your mind can put an end to reality..

..?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Thallium
How can we understand this:

Only your mind can put an end to reality..

..?

I've never heard anything like that before...where'd you see that? In what context?

btw, a possible understanding of that phrase is that your mind contains the full measure of your subjective experience, and your subjective experience is the entirety of your "reality"...so only the end of your mind will bring the end of your "reality".

Sorry, Mentat. I had completely forgot about this thread.

No, this idea came to me on my way home from school. It is my idea, but I have not had the time to think deeper thoughts about it. Too much else on the schedule.

Originally posted by Mentat
btw, a possible understanding of that phrase is that your mind contains the full measure of your subjective experience, and your subjective experience is the entirety of your "reality"...so only the end of your mind will bring the end of your "reality".

I agree with all but the last part; "only the end of your mind."
Through meditation we can end our present reality and temporarily enter another reality. Also meditation can change us and our thinking so much that our present reality ends to begin another more enlighted and all encompassing reality. As all of our reality is subjective changinge our thinking and attitudes changes our reality. This does nothing to change external reality only our understanding and relationship with reality.

As Robin Williams said; "Reality! What a concept!"

Originally posted by Royce
As Robin Williams said; "Reality! What a concept!"

Precisley. That was an answer I was looking for!

What does this saying mean?

This is a common question when people come across a saying or proverb that they are not familiar with. Understanding the meaning of a saying can give insight into its cultural or historical significance. To understand a saying, it is important to consider the context in which it was first used and the cultural background of the people who created it.

Why is this saying important?

People often wonder about the relevance or significance of a saying. Many sayings have stood the test of time and continue to be used because they offer timeless wisdom or reflect universal truths. They can also serve as a reminder of important values or beliefs in a particular culture or society.

How does this saying relate to real life?

People may question the practical application of a saying in their everyday lives. Sayings often offer advice or guidance for navigating common life experiences, such as relationships, decision-making, or personal growth. Reflecting on the meaning of a saying can help to apply its wisdom to real-life situations.

What is the origin of this saying?

Many people are curious about the origins of a saying. Some sayings have been passed down through generations and their origins may be unknown. Others may have a specific historical or cultural origin, such as a famous quote from a book or speech. Understanding the origin of a saying can provide insight into its meaning and significance.

How can I use this saying in my own writing or speaking?

People may be interested in incorporating a saying into their own writing or speaking. This can add depth and meaning to their communication. When using a saying, it is important to understand its meaning and context to ensure it is used appropriately and effectively.