Real Life Examples of Physics Theories

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses various theories in physics, including Newton, relativity, quantum theory, and Galileo's theories. The speaker mentions that their favorite branch of physics is non-relativistic quantum mechanics, but also expresses interest in understanding relativistic quantum field theory, which involves concepts such as particle creation and annihilation. The speaker also brings up the topic of renormalization and notes that many members of the forum may have mastered this material. The conversation ends with a discussion about the development of transistors and how it ties into the understanding of quantum physics.
PRodQuanta
What are some real life examples, connections to some, or your favorite, past or present, physic's theory.some choices are-Newton, relativity, quantum theory, or even galileo's theories.

(i.e.-S.Relativity_The atomic bomb.)
Thanks
Paden Roder

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well there's the fact that I am sitting here, and I am being pushed downwards by some strange force called gravity, but then again nobody really knows what gravity is, so then that's not much of an example

I'm not sure what my favorite branch of physics, or my favorite theory is. But I can tell you what I would like to be able to fully understand right now. Non-relativistic quantum mechanics can't very well handle particle creation and annihilation. Relativistic quantum field theory does the trick. There is a good bit of talk in RQFT about "second quantization," which involves creation and annihilation operators which change particle occupancy number. Renormalization is another topic which comes up in RQFT. It looks like a steep road to climb, to understand it all in detail. I would be curious to hear which members of the Forum have mastered that material.

Back when people first build radios, they used "crystals" without really understanding how they worked. Then switched to tubes, then to transistors. Transistors are really just "crystals" that we (well, the scientists and engineers) understand better because of quantum physics.

I just finished reading the biography of John Bardeen, "True Genius". Both he and Brattain had been radio amateurs as teenagers and were familiar with crystals and probing for the sweet spot. A lot of their experience with that went into their experiments with the transistor effect. They didn't really understand it at first, and only gradually conceptualized what was going on (this was primarily Bardeen's contribution) as they saw more particulars of the effect.

1. What is an example of Newton's First Law of Motion in real life?

An example of Newton's First Law of Motion in real life is when a car is at rest and then begins to move forward when the driver steps on the gas pedal. According to this law, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Can you give an example of Bernoulli's Principle in action?

An example of Bernoulli's Principle in action is when an airplane takes off. As the plane moves forward, the air above the wings moves faster than the air below, creating a difference in pressure. This difference in pressure generates lift, allowing the plane to take off.

3. How does Archimedes' Principle apply to everyday life?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This principle is used in everyday situations such as swimming, where the buoyant force of the water allows us to float, and in ships, where the shape of the hull is designed to displace enough water to keep the ship afloat.

4. What is an example of the Doppler Effect in real life?

An example of the Doppler Effect in real life is when a police car or ambulance passes by with its siren on. As the vehicle approaches, the sound waves are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency and a higher pitch. As the vehicle moves away, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency and a lower pitch.

5. How is the Uncertainty Principle applied in modern technology?

The Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, is applied in modern technology such as in MRI machines. These machines use the principle to create detailed images of the body's internal structures by measuring the changes in the magnetic fields of the atoms in the body.