Solving Calculations Involving Azides and Sodium Hydroxide

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of azides in explosives and the non-explosive decomposition of sodium azide to obtain pure nitrogen in the laboratory. A student was tasked with preparing a certain volume of nitrogen gas and determining the mass of sodium azide used. The student also reacted sodium with water to form aqueous sodium hydroxide and was asked to calculate its concentration in mol dm-3. The relationship between the number of moles of sodium metal and sodium hydroxide is discussed and the importance of showing work and posting homework questions in the appropriate forums is emphasized.
Janka
Hello people...could u help me pls...coz i am rly stuck in these thing like calculations...i know all right answers but i am not too sure how to get them...please if somebody of us has a few minutes could u help me with that?
Thank you very much.

Azides are compounds of nitrogen , used mainly as detonators in explosives.
However , sodium azide , NaN3 , decomposes non-explosively on heating to release nitrogen gas. This provides a convenient method of obtaining pure nitrogen in the laboratory.

2NaN3 (s) ---> 2Na (l) + 3N2 (g)

1., A student prepared 1.80 dm3 of pure nitrogen in the laboratory by this
method.This gas volume was masured at room temperature and pressure (r.t.p).

(i) how many moles of nitrogen , N2 , did the student prepare?
- assume that 1 mole of gas molecule occupies 24.0 dm3 at r.t.p.

1 mol of gas molecule = 24.0 dm3

1.80 dm3 / 24 dm3 = 0.075 moles of nitrogen

(ii) What mass of sodium azide did the student heat?

2., After cooling , the student obtained 1.15 g of solid sodium.She then
carefully reacted this sodium water to form 25.0 cm3 of aqueous sodium
hydroxide:
2Na (s) + 2H2O (l) ---> 2NaOH (aq) + H2 (g)

Calculate the concentration , in mol dm-3 , of the aqueous sodium hydroxide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. The rules state that you must show your work before you get help with homework or coursework questions. Furthermore, in future please post such questions in the homework forums.

What is the relationship between the number of moles of sodium metal and sodium hydroxide? Same? Different?
Once you find the number of moles of NaOH, you should be able to determine molarity since you know the volume as well.

1. What is the purpose of using azides and sodium hydroxide in calculations?

The combination of azides and sodium hydroxide is commonly used in chemical reactions to produce a compound called sodium azide. This compound is a key ingredient in the production of airbags and can also be used as a reagent in organic synthesis.

2. How do you calculate the molar mass of sodium azide?

The molar mass of sodium azide can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the compound (3 sodium atoms + 3 nitrogen atoms + 1 oxygen atom). The atomic masses of each element can be found on the periodic table of elements.

3. What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between azides and sodium hydroxide?

The balanced chemical equation for this reaction is: 2 NaN3 + 2 NaOH → 3 Na2O + N2.

4. How does the concentration of sodium hydroxide affect the reaction with azides?

The concentration of sodium hydroxide can affect the reaction with azides by impacting the rate of the reaction. A higher concentration of sodium hydroxide can increase the reaction rate, while a lower concentration can decrease the reaction rate.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with azides and sodium hydroxide?

Azides and sodium hydroxide can be hazardous substances, so it is important to wear protective equipment such as gloves and goggles when handling them. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and dispose of any waste materials properly according to safety guidelines.