What is the speed of the crossbow arrow when it is released?

In summary, the problem is to find the speed of an arrow released from a crossbow with a force of 50.0 pounds and a displacement of 12.5 inches. The weight of the arrow is 2 ounces and the conversion factors are 1 lb = 4.448 N, 1 in = 2.54 cm, and 1 oz = 28.35 grams. Using the force and displacement, one can determine a spring constant and the acceleration of the arrow. The total work on the system before the arrow is shot is 70.612 J and the kinetic energy of the arrow is 32.538 J. Using the equation (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)
Ryo124
[SOLVED] Conservation of Energy

I know, this problem is making me feel dumb but I can't figure it out:

A crossbow takes 50.0 pounds of force to draw the arrow back by 12.5 inches, and the weight of the arrow is 2 ounces. What is the speed of the arrow when it is released?
(1 lb = 4.448 N; 1 in = 2.54 cm; 1 oz = 28.35 grams)Could someone show me how to solve this?? Thanks to whoever helps.

*It is not momentum, but conservation of energy, sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a homework problem in Introductory Physics. And please do not do multi-posting.

With the force and displacement, one can determine a spring constant. The force usually decreases with displacement, unless the bow is specially designed for constant force.

Knowing the force one can determine the acceleration of the mass (arrow), and from the acceleration the velocity.

The other part as mgb_phys pointed out is that the energy stored in the bow (spring) must equal the kinetic energy of the mass when the bow string reaches its rest (zero) position.

And the work released = F*d, where F is the force and d is the displacement. But the question then becomes, is F a function of displacement (x), where 0 < x < d.

Last edited:
How much energy does the crossbow have before the arrow is released? ie: how much work has been done on the crossbow?

Work is force * distance and kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2.
So assuming all the energy goes into the arrow it's pretty simple

Why have you posted this exact question 4 times on the forums?

Threads merged--DO NOT multi-post!

Still not getting it for some reason...

I found the spring constant (k) to be -700.472

I found the acceleration (a) to be 392.24 m/s/s

I found the total work (W) on the system before the arrow is shot to be 70.612 J
W = Fd = 50(4.448)(.3175m) = 70.612 J

I am not sure what to do from here, the only thing that I do know is:

(1/2)mv^2 + mgh + (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh + (1/2)kx^2

Do I need to even use this equation? Setting Work equal to (1/2)mv^2 does not give me the correct answer. What am I not doing correctly? Is there energy that I am missing.

I know this is a simple problem and I have NO IDEA why it is causing me so much trouble. Will someone please help so more?

(1/2)kx^2 = 32.538J

set (1/2)mv^2 = 32.538

m = 0.0567kg

v= 33.88m/s ? I think this is the way to do it.

If 50lb, is the average force in pulling the arrow back then...

70.612J = (1/2)mv^2

v = 49.9m/s. Is that what you got?

EDIT: oops... should be 35.29m/s as ryo calculated. I used 12inches, instead of 12.5inches.

Last edited:
Ouch

Instead of using .0567 m, I was using .567 m. Oh well, I stressed over such a small mistake. So, I got

(1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)mv^2

(1/2)700.472(.3175)^2 = (1/2)(.0567)v^2

v = 35.29 m/s !

Thanks for the input guys, it all made sense. I just incorrectly converted g into kilograms. Maybe I was thinking in terms of m to cm and dividing by 100 instead of 1000. Thanks though guys!

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it governs the behavior and interactions of all physical systems. It allows us to accurately predict and understand the behavior of objects and systems in the world around us.

What are the different forms of energy?

The different forms of energy include kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), electromagnetic energy (light), chemical energy, and nuclear energy.

How is energy conserved in everyday life?

Energy is conserved in everyday life through various processes, such as the conversion of food into energy for our bodies, the use of solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, and the recycling of materials to reduce the amount of energy needed to produce new products.

Can energy be lost?

No, energy cannot be lost. It may seem like energy is lost when it is transformed from one form to another, but in reality, it is always conserved. For example, when a ball rolls down a hill and loses kinetic energy, it is converted into thermal energy due to friction. The total amount of energy in the system remains the same.