GooOS, the Google Operating System

In summary: I think it does a good job. I haven't had any problems with spam yet.In summary, Google is releasing a new GMail that is free and has ads based on the context of your emails.
Chen
Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
So how exactly do pronouce it? Goose? Go^os?

I bet they'll use linux as the base of this new operating system since their whole site already runs on it.

Hey.. So what's the big deal about Googles new GMail? That it is free? Or is it the 1000 MB storage?

It is free and 1GB, but there are ads based on the context of your emails. I'm sure there is going to be a daily upload or download cap of some sort though.

Man, I like the sound of this. I think when it opens, I will use it, and make that my new perm email.

I read a thing that says they may offer pop3 access.. You think they will? Is there a huge cost involved in that?

If they allowed pop3, then their ad revenue would go down the drain.

Ahh.. Good point.

I have to say, I really wouldn't mind if they added their little ad-words ads to the bottom of my e-mail, like under a line:

-----------------

It wouldn't bother me.

aychamo said:
Ahh.. Good point.

I have to say, I really wouldn't mind if they added their little ad-words ads to the bottom of my e-mail, like under a line:

-----------------

It wouldn't bother me.
Yeah, but I could easily write a one line program that truncates the end of my email from google.

aychamo said:
Hey.. So what's the big deal about Googles new GMail?

well, adds based on your emails implies thay read them. Of course oficially no human reads you mails only specialized programs, but can you be sure of that? it also does not delete your emails from the database when you hit delete. all which can be serious privacy concerns ...

Hmm. I don't like the idea of it not deleting it when you hit delete. But,, if you have nothing to hide .. :)

Also, what do you think about it's spam protection>

1. What is GooOS, the Google Operating System?

GooOS, also known as Google Operating System, is an experimental project by Google to create a browser-based operating system that runs entirely on the web. It aims to provide a simple, secure, and lightweight operating system experience for users.

2. How is GooOS different from traditional operating systems?

Unlike traditional operating systems that are installed on a computer's hard drive, GooOS runs entirely on the web. This means that all applications and data are stored in the cloud, allowing for easy accessibility and synchronization across multiple devices.

3. What are the main features of GooOS?

GooOS offers a range of features, including a file manager, web browser, and a suite of Google applications such as Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Docs. It also supports offline access and automatic updates, making it a more convenient and efficient option for users.

4. Is GooOS free to use?

Yes, GooOS is completely free to use. Users can access it through any modern web browser without the need for any additional software or installations.

5. Is GooOS secure?

GooOS prioritizes security and privacy, and all data is encrypted and stored on Google's servers. It also has built-in security features such as malware protection and automatic updates, making it a safe and reliable operating system option.