Spivak, Calculus - Where to find or is it covered?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether Spivak's book covers topics like Related Rates or Optimization. It is noted that Spivak's book is more focused on theoretical concerns rather than applied calculus, and therefore may not cover these topics in depth. It is recommended to use Stewart's Calculus for learning about Related Rates and Optimization. However, it is mentioned that Spivak does cover the chain rule and criteria for extrema, which can be applied to solve word problems.
rocomath
I just got Spivak's book a couple days ago, I've flipped through it and was looking through the Index. Does Spivak cover Related Rates or Optimization? I did not find it at all, so I am curious and wondering if it's under some other name. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen a calculus book that doesn't mention the f'(x) = 0 for local min/max. That's usually the extend 1-var calculus covers "optimization". The same thing is invariably discussed for multivariable real functions. Related rates are just word problems if I recall correctly. I haven't seen Spivak's book but they say it's semi-advanced, so may not cover word problems, the theoretical one's may be hard enough as it is.

I don't think anyone would recommend Spivak for learning about related rates and optimization. That topic is largely applied calculus, whereas Spivak focuses a lot on theoretical concerns. For applied calculus, I think Stewart's Calculus ought to cover it.

Stewart's it is...

indeed spivak probably does not cover related rates since there is essentially no new math in it. it is just an example of using the chain rule, but he covers the chain rule quite well. he might cover at least the criteria for existence of and recognition of extrema, but he does not again belabor illustrations of principles like that. at the level of that book, if you know the chain rule and the rolle theorem it is expected you can use them to do word problems.

1. What is "Spivak, Calculus" and why is it popular among mathematicians?

"Spivak, Calculus" is a textbook written by Michael Spivak, a renowned mathematician and professor at the University of Texas, Austin. It is known for its rigorous yet accessible approach to teaching calculus, making it a popular choice among mathematicians and students alike.

2. Where can I find "Spivak, Calculus" for purchase?

"Spivak, Calculus" can be found at most major bookstores or online retailers such as Amazon. It is also available in digital format through various e-book platforms.

3. Is "Spivak, Calculus" suitable for self-study or is it better for classroom use?

"Spivak, Calculus" can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, it is recommended to have some prior knowledge in calculus before attempting to self-study with this textbook.

4. Does "Spivak, Calculus" cover all the topics in a standard calculus course?

"Spivak, Calculus" covers the fundamental topics in single-variable calculus such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. However, it may not cover all the topics in a standard calculus course, as it focuses more on developing a deep understanding of the concepts rather than covering a wide range of topics.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources that can be used with "Spivak, Calculus"?

Yes, there are various study guides, practice problems, and online resources that can be used in conjunction with "Spivak, Calculus" to enhance understanding and practice. Some of these resources are provided by the author himself on his website.