Magnetic plus gravitation force

In summary: F sub B = IL x B = (2 A) (.05 m) x B = 10^-3 x Bso FsubB = 2.0 x 10^-3Bthen 2.0 x10^-3B = mg = (.01kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 9.8 x 10^-5therefore: B = (9.8 x 10^-5)/(2.0 x 10^-3) = .049 teslaIn summary, the problem involves a circuit with wires and springs, a 24V battery, and a 12 ohm resistance. The wire at the bottom weighs
eagleswings
[SOLVED] magnetic plus gravitation force

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of wires at the top and bottom and identical metal springs in the left and right sides. the upper portion of the circuit is fixed and has a 24 v battery and 12 ohm resistance. the wire at the bottom has a mass of 10 grams and is 5 cm long. the springs stretch 0.5 cm under the weight of the wire. when a magnetic field is turned on, directed out of the page, the springs stretch an additional .3 cm. what is the magnitude of the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

F = -kx, I = v/r = 2 Amps, F = ma = mg; F sub B = IL x B

The Attempt at a Solution

solving for K before the magnetic field is turned on: there are two upward forces from the springs, and one downward force from gravity and mass
-2kx = - mg
substitute -2 (-.005 m)(k) = (-.01kg)(6.673 x 10 -11)
k = 6.673 x 10 -12
springs are in equilibrium between 2 kx forces and mg force

now magnetic field is turned on and you have 2 -kx's and F sub B, where springs stretch another 0.3 cm or .003 meters
-2 (6.673 x 10 -12)(.003) = F sub b = IL x B = (2 A) (5 cm) x B
so B = (4.00 x 10 - 14)/(2)(.05) = 4.0 x 10 - 13 tesla

but the book answer is .588 Tesla - i am only off by a factor of a trillion or so

this should be easy but i am missing a big factor

Physics news on Phys.org
magnetic plus gravitation force Picture

i've attached a picture of the problem. i can't figure out how i could be so far off? what element of the problem am i missing?

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 693
Magnetic plus gravitation solved

well i was using the Big G gravitational constant instead of little g acceleration = 9.8 meters/sec

1. What is the difference between magnetic and gravitational forces?

The main difference between magnetic and gravitational forces is the types of particles they act on. Magnetic forces act on charged particles, such as electrons and protons, while gravitational forces act on all particles with mass.

2. How do magnetic and gravitational forces interact with each other?

While both magnetic and gravitational forces are fundamental forces of nature, they do not directly interact with each other. Magnetic forces only interact with other magnetic forces, and gravitational forces only interact with other gravitational forces.

3. Can magnetic and gravitational forces cancel each other out?

No, magnetic and gravitational forces cannot cancel each other out. As mentioned before, they do not directly interact with each other and thus cannot be combined or canceled out.

4. Do magnetic and gravitational forces obey the same laws of physics?

No, magnetic and gravitational forces have different laws governing their behavior. Magnetic forces follow the laws of electromagnetism, while gravitational forces follow the laws of gravity.

5. How do magnetic and gravitational forces affect the motion of objects?

Magnetic forces can cause charged particles to move in circular or spiral paths, while gravitational forces cause objects to move in elliptical paths around massive objects like planets and stars.