Lindelof Space: Proving XxY is Lindelof if X is Lindelof and Y is Compact

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of showing that if X is Lindelof and Y is compact, then XxY is Lindelof. The proof involves using the definitions of compactness and Lindelofness, as well as properties of open sets and coverings. The speaker also apologizes for the use of symbols instead of Latex and expresses their hope for luck on upcoming exams.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I need to show that if X is Lindelof and Y is compact then XxY is Lindelof.
Now let ,[tex]XxY=U(A_\alpha x B_\beta)[/tex] for arbitrary alpha and beta.
from naive set theory we know that XxY is a subset of [tex]UA_\alpha x UB_\beta[/tex]
because both UA_alpha and UB_beta are open in X and in Y respectively we get that XxY equals the last term.
Now from X being Lindelof we get from the above that X=UA_alpha, and from Lindelof we know there's a countable covering of X now also Y equals UB_beta and from compactness we know it has a finite covering of B_i's.
so [tex]XxY=UA_j x UB_i[/tex]
where UA_j is the countable covering of X and UB_i is a finite covering of Y, but this same set also equals: U[(A_j x B_1)U(A_j x B_2)U(A_j x B_n)] where j runs from one to infinity, this is a countable covering of XxY, or so I think cause A_j xB_i for every j>=1 and some i natural in [1,n], is open in XxY.
What do you think, looks sound and reasonable or bullocks?
the small x's in the texs are for cartesian product and capital U'S are for unions, sorry don't have time to relearn Latex, I have 3 exams in four days, wish me luck.
(-:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I can confirm that your proof looks sound and reasonable. You have correctly used the definitions of compactness and Lindelofness to show that XxY is Lindelof. Good luck on your exams!

1. What is a Lindelof Space?

A Lindelof space is a topological space in which every open cover has a countable subcover. This means that for any collection of open sets that cover the space, there exists a countable subset of those open sets that still cover the space. This property is named after Swedish mathematician Ernst Lindelof.

2. How is a Lindelof space different from a compact space?

While both Lindelof and compact spaces have the property that every open cover has a finite subcover, they differ in their countability. A compact space has the added property that every open cover has a subcover consisting of a finite number of open sets, while a Lindelof space only requires a countable number of open sets in the subcover.

3. What does it mean to prove that XxY is Lindelof?

XxY, or the Cartesian product of two topological spaces X and Y, is said to be Lindelof if every open cover of XxY has a countable subcover. In other words, for any collection of open sets that cover the product space, there exists a countable subset of those open sets that still cover the space.

4. How do you prove that XxY is Lindelof if X is Lindelof and Y is Compact?

To prove that XxY is Lindelof if X is Lindelof and Y is Compact, we can use the fact that a product of two Lindelof spaces is also Lindelof. Since X is Lindelof, every open cover of X has a countable subcover. Similarly, since Y is compact, every open cover of Y has a finite subcover. By taking the Cartesian product of these two subcovers, we can show that XxY has a countable subcover, thus proving that it is Lindelof.

5. Why is the property of being Lindelof important in topology?

The property of being Lindelof is important in topology because it is a measure of how "small" a topological space is. A Lindelof space has a countable basis, which means that it is "nicely" structured and has fewer open sets than a non-Lindelof space. This property is useful in many areas of mathematics, including analysis, algebraic geometry, and topology itself.