Quantum Mechanics Book - Start Basics & Learn QM

In summary, when starting with QM, it is recommended to begin with a gentle book such as Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics." Other options for beginners include Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" and Messiah's "Quantum Mechanics." For a more advanced option, Gasiorowicz's "Quantum Physics" is also recommended. For those who prefer additional guidance, "Essential Quantum Mechanics" by Gary Bowman is a good supplementary book. It is suggested to use Griffiths as the primary source and refer to Bowman's book as needed. Alternatively, they can be read in parallel.
pardesi
i am to start with QM can someone tell me of a nice book to start with the basics and slowly get into the rigors of QM

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of people start from Griffiths' book which is quite gentle I think. It's at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131244051/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I like Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" which may be a little more advanced and I like Messiah's 2 volume set "Quantum Mechanics" which is kind of old-school. Also, for some hard-to-read old-school russian writing style try Landau and Lif****z's volume on Quantum Mechanics...

but anyway, start with Griffiths'

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot i bought Griffith

good supplementary book

If you're a beginner and would like a bit of hand-holding, I highly recommend "Essential Quantum Mechanics" by Gary Bowman as a supplement to any standard textbook.

thanks for that ...
how do i read now i mean start with griffith and then read Bowman or the other way...
P.S: i am an absolute beginner(in QM)

Another book that is the same level as Griffiths is Gasoriowicz's "Quantum Physics."

While I think Griffiths explains the theory better than any book out there, he does not cover as many topics as other books. He also downplays the importance of Dirac Notation somewhat, which is VERY important.

Gasiorowicz doesn't explain things as well and skips steps that I wish were there, but he covers more material and, after you use this book, you'll be better versed in Dirac Notation than you will be with Griffiths

Currently I am using Gasiorowicz for my class and I supplement my reading with the corresponding sections from Griffiths. I think the combination can't be beat. Definitely consider picking up Gasiorowicz in the future to use with Griffiths.

Last edited:
i wudn't dare say i cud know that griffith didn't cover much but comparing his "chapters" with Sakurai i cud say he had less material...sorry if this was a wrong judgement but that's what i felt and i thought it wud be too childish to write that down

hmm...ok with so much resources on and plentily available...can anyone tell me how to go about this i mean the order of study

I would say use Griffiths as your primary source. Just jump right into Chapter 1, and if you don't understand anything come to Physics Forums!

pardesi said:
thanks for that ...
how do i read now i mean start with griffith and then read Bowman or the other way...
P.S: i am an absolute beginner(in QM)
You can read them in parallel, as needed. Bowman's emphasis is on explaining things that might trip up a beginner, whereas Griffiths is training you to be a quantum mechanic and covers a lot more technical material. Bowman covers the meaning of the quantum state, quantum postulates, operators, dirac notation, and lots more, in an attempt to eliminate some of the inevitable confusion. It's a concise book that you'll refer to often as you are puzzling your way through basic QM. Check out the table of contents on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199228930/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(It's the sort of book that I wish was around when I really needed it! But it's brand new for 2008.)

Tom Mattson said:
I would say use Griffiths as your primary source. Just jump right into Chapter 1, and if you don't understand anything come to Physics Forums!
I agree with Tom 100%. Use Griffiths as your main text; use Bowman as a supplement. (Don't get me wrong, Griffiths is also an excellent pedagogical text--but every little bit helps. I wish Griffiths was around when I needed it, too! :smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of these particles and how they interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, which has led to advancements in various fields such as technology, medicine, and chemistry. It also provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

3. What are the basic principles of quantum mechanics?

The basic principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and superposition. These principles explain the probabilistic nature of particles and their ability to exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature. Additionally, classical mechanics can be applied to macroscopic systems, while quantum mechanics is most useful for understanding the behavior of particles and atoms.

5. Can quantum mechanics be applied to everyday life?

While quantum mechanics may seem abstract and unrelated to everyday life, it actually has many practical applications. For example, quantum mechanics is essential in the development of modern technology, such as computer chips, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a role in chemical reactions and the behavior of materials at a microscopic level.