Sulfur trioxide hybridization?

In summary: So, the sulfur trioxide has 3 equal energy sp2 hybridized orbitals which are involved in pi bonding in the sulfite ion.
SublimeGD
I'm just curious about how the sulfer's molecular orbitals would be described in sulfer trioxide. I can see that the molecule is trigonal planar, but how is it involved in 3 pi bonds? Also I'm sure that a d orbital or two is involved... but can't sp3d, sp3d2 orbitals only do sigma bonds? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In sulfur trioxide the central sulfur is bound in a trigonal planar geometry with three oxygens. Once you have the fundamental geometry you can determine the orbital hybridization. Since there are three "things" attached to the sulfur and it has no lone pair, it must be sp2 hybridized creating three equal energy orbitals protruding at 120 degree angles from the central sulfur in the same plane. Any pi bonding takes place in unhybridized orbitals...in this case an unhybridized p orbital. If you do the Lewis dot structure you will quickly learn that there is resonance in the three S-O bonds, making each approximately a 1 and 1/3 bond and creating a pi bonding system. My knowledge is limited in the area of molecular orbitals so my answer stops here. Hope this helps.

SublimeGD said:
I'm just curious about how the sulfer's molecular orbitals would be described in sulfer trioxide. I can see that the molecule is trigonal planar, but how is it involved in 3 pi bonds? Also I'm sure that a d orbital or two is involved... but can't sp3d, sp3d2 orbitals only do sigma bonds? Thanks.

The following link should answer your questions - if you have additional ones post them here.

http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/webmo/SO3-2.html

That link is about the sulfite ion though (SO3 2-) and not the neutral molecular sulfur trioxide. To which is the question referring?

You're right - sulfur trioxide is one of those molecules counted as an octet rule anomaly.

Ah, I also forgot the formal charge rule, making the central sulfur double bonded to each of the three oxygen atoms to give a formal charge of 0 (6 valence e- - 6 bonds=0), rather than the 1 and 1/3 bond I mentioned in my earlier post. This then gets more into molecular orbital theory, with which I am vaguely acquainted.

If you draw out the plane structure without considering the resonance for the sulfite the sulfur has a lone pair thus the basic approximation should be

(6 valence e - - 2 lone pair electrons - 4 bonds ) = 0

This was exactly my point - sulfite has a lone pair on the sulfur which is not true for the sulfur trioxide - if my recollection serves me correctly.

1. What is the electron hybridization of sulfur trioxide?

The electron hybridization of sulfur trioxide is sp2. This means that three of the sulfur's atomic orbitals are hybridized to form three sp2 orbitals, each one containing one unpaired electron. The remaining p orbital is unhybridized and also contains one unpaired electron.

2. How many sigma and pi bonds are present in sulfur trioxide?

Sulfur trioxide has a total of three sigma bonds and one pi bond. The sigma bonds are formed between the sp2 orbitals of sulfur and the p orbitals of the three oxygen atoms. The pi bond is formed by the overlap of the unhybridized p orbital of sulfur and the p orbital of one oxygen atom.

3. What is the molecular geometry of sulfur trioxide?

The molecular geometry of sulfur trioxide is trigonal planar. This is because the three sp2 orbitals of sulfur are arranged in a flat, triangular shape with an angle of 120 degrees between each orbital. The three oxygen atoms are then positioned at the corners of this triangle.

4. Is sulfur trioxide polar or nonpolar?

Sulfur trioxide is a polar molecule. This is because the oxygen atoms have a higher electronegativity than sulfur, causing them to pull the shared electrons towards themselves, creating a slight negative charge. As a result, the molecule has an overall dipole moment.

5. What is the hybridization of the sulfur atom in sulfur trioxide?

The sulfur atom in sulfur trioxide is sp2 hybridized. This means that three of its atomic orbitals have combined to form three sp2 orbitals, each containing one unpaired electron. The remaining p orbital is unhybridized and also contains one unpaired electron.