Help with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

In summary, the conversation discusses using the uncertainty principle to estimate the uncertainty in energy of a proton confined to a nucleus 1.0 x 10^-14m in diameter. The equations (delta x)(delta p) >= h/2pi and (delta E)(delta t) >= h/2pi are provided. The individual is unsure of where to start as the uncertainties in time and momentum are not given. They mention that momentum is proportional to velocity, which is distance/time. They also ask for help in finding the uncertainty in delta x. In the end, they were able to solve the problem using the equation (delta x)(delta p)=h/(4pi) and finding (delta E) using a variation of the
Bazanaka
Today I was assigned a question (that is due tomorrow) and I currenlty have very little idea how to solve it... Any help to get me started here would be greatly appreciated.
1. Use the uncertainty principle to estimate the uncertainty in energy of a proton confined to a nucleus 1.0 x 10^-14m in diameter.

Here are the equations we were given
2. (delta x)(delta p) >= h/2pi
(delta E)(delta t) >= h/2pi

To try and solve it I wasn't really sure where to start because we weren't given the uncertainty in time or the uncertainty in momentum so I am not sure how I can make the transition to energy :grumpy:

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do not need someone to solve this for me, please just point me in the right direction so I can learn the material.

Physics news on Phys.org
momentum is proportional to velocity which is distance/time

maybe?

How would I figure out the uncertainty in for delta x? I am given that a nucleus is 1.0 x 10^-14m in diameter but I am unsure if the uncertainty would be that whole value or what it is.

well you know it isn't outside the nucleus.

where exactly inside the nucleus would you expect it to be?

I solved it, just thought I should respond so that people didnt continue to post. Incase anyone has trouble with this type of the question in the future:
I used (delta x)(delta p)=h/(4pi)
then using the value of (delta p) found the (delta v)
then using the (delta v) was able to find (delta E) using a variation of the EK=1/2mv^2 formula, (delta E)=1/2m(delta v)^2. I hope my misery helps someone lol...

What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In other words, the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

Why is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle important?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is important because it sets a fundamental limit on the precision with which we can measure certain properties of particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How did Heisenberg develop the uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He formulated it as a mathematical relationship between the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum of a particle.

What is an example of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in action?

An example of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in action is the double-slit experiment, where particles behave as both waves and particles. In this experiment, the more precisely we measure the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. However, there are certain situations where the uncertainty can be reduced, such as when dealing with larger particles or at higher temperatures.