The line between quantum and large scale objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the line between quantum theory and relativity, and how probabilities play a role in understanding these theories. The question is raised about why these small probabilities are not taken into account in equations. The concept of probability and the law of large numbers is mentioned as a way to explain the predictability of probabalistic events through statistics.
bassplayer142
Where is the line between these two subjects. I understand that I may be asking an unanswerable and highly studied question. I understand that in the quantum world everything is based on probability. But when looking at things at our perspective we never see this probability. Everything is based on cause and effect. Why doesn't some of our equations take into effect these small probabilities no matter how minute they may be? Is this really what it means to connect quantum theory and relativity as the theory of everything? I supposed I just don't understand what the barrier between the two theories are.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you flip 10 coins, you would not be surprised to see 60% of them turn up heads by chance. If you flip 6.02x1023 coins, you would be very surprised to see 60% of them turn up as heads by chance.

In other words, by the law of large numbers, probabalistic events can be predicted through statistics with high confidence. A lot of these concepts would be covered in a statistical mechanics course of textbook.

1. What is the difference between quantum and large scale objects?

Quantum objects are extremely small, such as atoms and subatomic particles, and follow the laws of quantum mechanics. Large scale objects, on the other hand, are much bigger and follow the laws of classical physics.

2. Can quantum objects be observed on a large scale?

No, quantum objects can only be observed on a very small scale. This is because observing them on a larger scale would cause them to interact with their surroundings and lose their quantum properties.

3. How do quantum objects behave differently from large scale objects?

Quantum objects can exist in multiple states at the same time and exhibit properties such as superposition and entanglement. Large scale objects, on the other hand, can only exist in one state and do not exhibit these quantum behaviors.

4. Is there a boundary or line between quantum and large scale objects?

Yes, there is a boundary between quantum and large scale objects, known as the quantum/classical boundary. This boundary is not clearly defined and is still a topic of debate among scientists.

5. Can large scale objects exhibit quantum behaviors?

In some cases, large scale objects can exhibit quantum behaviors, but only under very specific conditions, such as extreme cold temperatures or isolation from their surroundings. However, these behaviors are usually difficult to observe and control at a large scale.