Condensed matter physicist advice ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the interest in pursuing a career in condensed matter physics for a decent amount of income, and the role of a Ph.D in job availability and income potential. The speaker also expressed interest in building useful materials using physical principles and asked for advice on courses and specialties within condensed matter physics. Suggestions were given to take a solid state physics course and explore areas such as semiconductor technology, magnetic information systems, or organic electronics. The conversation also mentioned the importance of research and the variety of options within condensed matter physics.
Elbobo
Although I'm not going into physics for a love of money/easy money, I still want a decent amount to live comfortably. 80-90k+ is alright with me, and condensed matter is pretty interesting, practical, and very helpful.

I'm curious as to how much they earn on average/median in a year. Does a successful one require a Ph.D? If not, how does job availability and income jump with a Ph.D in hand? I will at least get a Masters.

A job description in your own words too would be nice. I searched around so far, and they seem a bit like engineers to me (sorry if they're not, I'm still new to it).

Any advice you can give would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Condensed matter physics is a broad field, too broad to list right here. What specifically interests you in condensed matter, semiconductors, magnetic materials, opto-electronic phenomenon etc...

As I said, I'm quite new to the field, but developing/creating useful materials with physical principles for the world to use interests me. I guess (off of Wikipedia, yeah my knowledge of CM is pretty limited) magnetic materials, nanotechnology, and soft condensed matter are right down my alley.

The materials industry is huge. If you got knowledge how to build a material after specs, you will at least have a job. And money will come to you (like in the range you specified) if you work at it.

Thanks for that guys, but I need a bit more depth...

Like what are some courses that I should take? Is there just a condensed matter degree or does it branch into specialties (not the job, but the degree itself)? What is a major branch in CMP that many specialize in (job)?

I'd really like more advice than this -.-

I'd take a solid state physics course (Kittel or Ashcroft & Mermin) then you can get into more specialized courses like the Quantum Theory of Solids, Many-Body Physics etc...

The basic course should introduce you into the broader areas of condensed matter physics, out of that you can get an appreciation about where you might be interested in going from there.

I don't usually see separate condensed matter degrees; they're physics Masters or PhD's, just you do your research in condensed matter. What area of condensed matter you go to work in will be determined largely by your research choice.

If I were in your shoes I'd pick semiconductor technology, magnetic information systems (or at least a concentration in something related to spin, spin tunneling, etc), or organic electronics. I'm sure there are lots of other very good choices.

Elbobo: It wouldn't hurt if you told us something about your university and put something on the table that we could discuss.

But, I think you should go into some theory/modelling/materials physics-speciality if you like CMP. Does your designated educational facility have something like that?

1. What is condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties of materials in their solid or liquid states, including their structure, behavior, and interactions with other materials.

2. What is the role of a condensed matter physicist?

A condensed matter physicist conducts research and experiments to understand the behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level. They also develop theories and models to explain and predict the properties of materials, which can have practical applications in technology and industry.

3. What skills are necessary to become a condensed matter physicist?

Condensed matter physicists need a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They also need excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data.

4. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in condensed matter physics?

My advice would be to focus on developing a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. It is also important to gain experience in conducting experiments and analyzing data, as well as keeping up with current research and advancements in the field.

5. What are some current areas of research in condensed matter physics?

Some current areas of research in condensed matter physics include studying the behavior of quantum materials, developing new materials with unique properties for technological applications, and exploring the properties of materials at extreme conditions, such as high pressures or temperatures.