Angular velocity find angular displacement

In summary: I is in times whatever units a is in, so you needn't say.In summary, a body with moment of inertia 20kgm^2, rotating with an angular velocity of ω(t)=3t^2-4, will have an angular displacement of 15 in the first 3 seconds. At t=2, the new torque exerted on the object will be 240, calculated using the formula torque=Ia, with a being the derivative of ω(t) and evaluated at t=2.
tachu101

Homework Statement

A body with moment of inertia 20kgm^2 is rotating about a fixed axis with an angular velocity of w(t)= 3t^2-4

a. Through what angular displacement will the body move in the first 3 seconds
b. What is the new torque exerted on the object at t=2

Homework Equations

Angular Kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated the angular velocity to get the displacement to be Theta(t)=t^3-4t ... then I evaluated the definite integral from 0 to 3 to get 15. But 15 What? Am I doing this right?

I don't know what to do for the second part. Does anyone know?

Physics news on Phys.org
b) What's angular acceleration and torque formula?

torque = Ia so it would then be derivative of w(t)= 3t^2-4 to get 6t evaluated at 2 gets 12. Then you do 12 times 20 to get 240?

Does any of this look good?

Anyone?

Looks good to me.

tachu101 said:
A body with moment of inertia 20kgm^2 is rotating about a fixed axis with an angular velocity of w(t)= 3t^2-4

a. Through what angular displacement will the body move in the first 3 seconds
b. What is the new torque exerted on the object at t=2

I integrated the angular velocity to get the displacement to be Theta(t)=t^3-4t ... then I evaluated the definite integral from 0 to 3 to get 15. But 15 What? Am I doing this right?

Hi tachu101! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ :wink:)

Yes, that's fine … and the 15 has no dimensions … it's just an angle (in degrees or radians, depending on what w is, so you needn't say).
tachu101 said:
torque = Ia so it would then be derivative of w(t)= 3t^2-4 to get 6t evaluated at 2 gets 12. Then you do 12 times 20 to get 240?

Also fine (though you could have stated it a little more logically :wink:)

1. What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is different from linear velocity, which measures how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity takes into account the object's distance from the fixed point, while linear velocity does not.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is angular displacement and how is it related to angular velocity?

Angular displacement is the measure of the change in an object's position as it rotates around a fixed point. It is related to angular velocity in that the angular velocity is the rate at which the angular displacement is changing.

4. How can I find the angular displacement using angular velocity?

To find the angular displacement using angular velocity, you can use the formula Δθ = ωΔt, where Δθ is the angular displacement, ω is the angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This formula allows you to calculate the angular displacement for a given time interval.

5. How is angular displacement measured and what are the units?

Angular displacement is typically measured in radians (rad) or degrees (°). Radians are the preferred unit for scientific calculations, while degrees are more commonly used in everyday measurements. To measure angular displacement, you can use a protractor or other measuring tool to determine the angle between the starting and ending positions of the rotating object.