Variable frequency drive for high speed spindle

In summary, the person is looking to upgrade their CNC router table's spindle and is unsure if their current variable frequency drive can handle the new spindle. They provide the stats for the new spindle and question whether the current drive's 1kw capacity is sufficient. They also mention finding more information on the LS Industrial Systems website and ask for advice. Another person suggests upgrading to a larger drive if the spindle is rated at 1kw.
Icestation2
I operate a CNC router table with a high speed spindle. I'm looking to upgrade to a new spindle but need to know if the variable frequency drive I currently have will work with this new spindle.

The new spindle has the following stats: 300Hz, 1kw, 18000RPM.

The frequency drive is made by LS Industrial Systems - Starvert SV008IC5-1F

The info on their website suggests that this particular drive can reach 400HZ, but I’m not sure about the other details, especially whether or not 1kw is too high.

More info is available using this link:

http://eng.lsis.biz/product/product/introduce/ecatalog_viewStream.asp?catalog_id=288&fileNum=1

Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool to see another CNC person here, I've did my own X2 CNC Mill conversion recently.

The "008" of "SV008IC5-1F" says it's 0.75 kw time to upgrade to get those faster IPM speeds.

btw have you tried CNCzone.com before, people there are good at answering CNC stuffs like this.

I'm wondering if the 0.75KW motor rating - as shown in the PDF manual - relates to the motor within the frequency drive, and not it's output. Does anyone know if a frequency drive has a motor? My knowledge of these devices is quite poor.

Icestation2 said:
I'm wondering if the 0.75KW motor rating - as shown in the PDF manual - relates to the motor within the frequency drive, and not it's output. Does anyone know if a frequency drive has a motor? My knowledge of these devices is quite poor.
The specs indicate the rating for the motor being driven. Looks like the model you are considering (SV008IC5-1F) would drive a 1 HP (0.75kW) load. If your spindle motor is rated at 1kW then I would consider something a little larger; maybe the SV015IC5-1F.

1. What is a variable frequency drive (VFD) and how does it work?

A VFD is an electronic device that controls the speed and torque of an electric motor by varying the frequency and voltage of the power supplied to it. It uses a combination of rectifiers, capacitors, and transistors to convert the incoming AC power to DC power and then back to AC power with a variable frequency and voltage output.

2. Why is a VFD necessary for high speed spindles?

High speed spindles require precise speed control in order to maintain stability and accuracy. A VFD allows for more precise and adjustable speed control compared to other methods, such as using gears or pulleys.

3. What are the benefits of using a VFD for high speed spindles?

One of the main benefits of using a VFD for high speed spindles is the ability to control and adjust the speed and torque of the motor, which can improve precision and efficiency. Additionally, VFDs can help reduce energy consumption and extend the lifespan of the motor.

4. Can a VFD be used for different types of high speed spindles?

Yes, a VFD can be used for a variety of high speed spindles, including those used in industrial machines, CNC routers, and woodworking equipment. However, it is important to select a VFD that is suitable for the specific motor and application.

5. Are there any considerations when installing a VFD for high speed spindles?

Yes, proper installation and programming of the VFD are crucial for optimal performance and safety. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and seek help from a qualified electrician or technician if needed.