Calculating VA in a Tube Preamp Circuit

In summary: No, the heater current is not included in the VA rating. The VA rating is for the transformer only.Thank you for your input! I will be using a linear power supply and a solid state rectifier.
jordankersten
I am getting ready to make a tube preamp to drive a Leslie speaker. I want to use a 12AX7 and 12BH7. I plan on using both triodes of the 12AX7 and possibly both oh the 12BH7. I have two questions: First, any design suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any schematics would be GREAT! and secondly, how do I calculate the VA so I know what transformer to get. I want to use a 250-0-250 transformer, that will put my B+ plate voltages right around 250 and at the optimal operating range of the tubes. So how do I know what VA rating I need when I pick out a transformer. I am attaching a link to a schematic for a Leslie 147 amplifier so you will know what I am trying to drive. I want to drive a line-level signal (keyboard) into this power amp. Thanks!

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/Leslie_schematics/147.GIF

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for posting a vacuum tube circuit. I last worked on vacuum tube circuits at Hewlett Packard in the period 1954 to 58. I built an audio amplifier at home using 12AX7s (high mu triode) and EL34's (push pull output).

I understand your output signal will go into the input of the Leslie 147 amplifier that has a 8 ohm/16 ohm single-ended input? Or are you planning on building a replacement for the Leslie 147 ? When you mention a 250 -0 - 250 transformer, are you discussing a 250-ohm push-pull output transformer, or a 250 volt - 0 - 250 volt power transformer? If the latter, will this be for a full-wave center tap rectifier? If the latter, sum up the plate current for all tubes, and multiply by 250 volts to get the VA rating. If you plan to drive the Leslie input. all you need is a single ended output with an impedance transformer.

Thank you for replying! I am planning on using a 250V-0V-250V power transformer with a center tapped full wave rectifier. The Leslie 147 input is not actually 8 ohms. There is a "console load resistor" selector switch for when the Leslie 147 is to be connected to an organ's internal speakers. The Leslie would be directly connected to the organs self-contained power amp. I will have the switch in the "open" position causing there to be no additional load. I want to take a line level 1/4" keyboard signal and drive the Leslie 147 amplifier with it.

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hammond_sub/schematics/ao28.jpg

The Leslie speaker was originally designed to connect to a Hammond Organ either via a self contained amplifier or directly to the organs preamp for consoles without a self contained speaker system. I will attach a schematic of the Hammond preamp of which I am trying to model. The Hammond preamp has a 340-0-340V power transformer and has an additional section of amplification and an envelope to create a percussion effect used on the organ. I will not be using that part nor will I be using the first 6AU6 gain stage. I want to use the 12AX7 and 12BH7 to drive the Leslie amp. I would build from C6 to the point where it says "output to tone cabinet." (The tone cab would be a Leslie). Would I be better off copying the Hammond preamp design or making a new design based on a 12AX7 and 12BH7? The Hammond preamp uses an output transformer to provide a balanced output which the model 122 Leslie used a balanced input. The 147, however is identical to the 122 except it uses an unbalanced input. Also, if I wanted to build a copy of the Hammond preamp, could I use a 250-0-250V transformer and have the plates at a lower voltage or would I need to use the original Hammond design with a 340-0-340V transformer? Thanks!

When calculating the VA would I include the heater current as well as the plate current...the transformers I am looking at have a separate heater winding.

Why arn't you interested in using bipolar transistors?

I have tried many solid state preamps for this purpose and I am not happy with the tone.

I had actually already found that circuit and considered building it. How would I go about adding an additional gain stage...maybe using a 12BH7:)?

Also, I would want to use a linear power supply instead of a switching PS.

One final question: would it be an issue to run that Hammond circuit with a 250V transformer and a solid state rectifier??

Last edited:
jordankersten said:
Here is a schematic from an earlier Hammond preamp...why are they using a 250-0-250V transformer in this unit to get the 280V and 290V supply voltages? Does it have to do with the different rectifiers?
http://www.captain-foldback.com/Hammond_sub/schematics/AO10.gif
The 250 volt(ac) measurement is an Average value (Vavg=0.9Vrms). Where Vrms is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square" value. So the rectified voltage will be around the peak ac value (Vp=Vrms/.707). Note that the cathode of the 6X5 is shown to be at around 320 volt(dc).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the power supply figured out but my next problem is the output transformer is extremely expensive and hard to find. So I am wondering if there is a way to omit the output transformer using that circuit maybe by making the 12BH7 a cathode follower? If that is not feasible, I am considering building this circuit using a linear power supply:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/12AX7_Preamp/

How could I add a 3rd gain stage to this circuit, particularly a 12BH7 gain stage? Does anyone have or no where to find a schematic to a circuit using 3 gain stages using either 12AX7/12BH7s or 6SN7/6SJ7. Thanks for all your help!

What is VA and why is it important in a tube preamp circuit?

VA, or voltage amplification, is the process of increasing the amplitude of an electrical signal in a tube preamp circuit. It is important because it determines the level of gain and distortion in the circuit, which ultimately affects the sound quality of the preamp.

How is VA calculated in a tube preamp circuit?

VA can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This is typically measured in decibels (dB) and represents the amount of amplification or gain in the circuit. VA can also be calculated by measuring the output power and dividing it by the input power.

What factors affect VA in a tube preamp circuit?

The main factors that affect VA in a tube preamp circuit are the type and number of tubes used, the input and output circuit design, and the power supply voltage. The type of tubes used will determine their gain characteristics, while the circuit design and power supply voltage will affect the overall amplification and distortion levels.

How is VA different from power output in a tube preamp circuit?

VA and power output are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. VA refers to voltage amplification, while power output measures the amount of power that can be delivered to a load. In a tube preamp circuit, VA determines the level of gain and distortion, while power output determines how loud the signal can be.

Can VA be adjusted in a tube preamp circuit?

Yes, VA can be adjusted in a tube preamp circuit by changing the input and output circuit design, adjusting the bias of the tubes, or using different types of tubes with different gain characteristics. However, it is important to note that changing VA can also affect other aspects of the circuit, such as frequency response and distortion levels.