Abstract Algebra: Ring Theory Problems

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with Ring Theory proofs and using LaTeX typesetting on a forum. The first problem is about showing that the units of a product of commutative rings with identity is equal to the product of the units of each individual ring. The second problem is about showing that a finite commutative ring with no zero-divisors and at least two elements must have an identity. The third problem is about proving that (x) in Q[x] is maximal. The student also learns how to use LaTeX on the forum.
Hotsuma
Hello all,

I am trying to work on some Ring Theory proofs and my Abstract Algebra is very minimal as I have not taken the class but need to look into it nonetheless. If anyone can figure these out for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I am familiar in LaTeX typesetting but I don't know how to fluidly use it on this forum. If I enable the TeX can I use my typical math commands and implement conventional TeX'ing?

Homework Statement

This is the doozy for me:

If R1,R2,...,Rn are commutative rings with identity, shows that U (R1 x R2 x ... x Rn) = U(R1) x U(R2) x ... x U(Rn)

Homework Equations

Identity: There exists some 1 in R such that a*1 = 1*a = a
Commutativity: A, b in R such that ab = ba for all a, b.
Unit: Must have identity, there exist some y in R such that xy = yx =1. Must be commutative.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried all sorts of debauchery but nothing seems to work. I have tried splitting this up and looking at it different ways, but nothing I've come up with is correct.

Homework Statement

Show that a finite commutative ring with no zero-divisors and at least two elements has identity.

Homework Equations

See above.

So I need to show it is finite (easy), commutative, no zero-divisors, and and at least two elements has identity.

I define some ring R with no zero-divisors and at least two elements. Let a,b be in R. There exists a*a=1; a*b= a (or b). If a*a=a, then a*a*b=a*b...

Here I just keep running in circles.

Homework Statement

Prove that (x) in Q[x] is maximal.

Homework Equations

Q is the set of all rationals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximal_element"

Nothing. =[

Thank you for all the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You use Latex on this board by enclosing it in [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]... [ /itex ] or [ latex] ... [ latex ] without the spaces.

[tex]\frac{a}{b}[/tex]
[itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]

As for your problem, what do you mean by U (R1 x R2 x ... x Rn) = U(R1) x U(R2) x ... x U(Rn)? What is that "U"?

For your second problem, think of the definition of a ring. It is a group, with two operations (R,+,.) ... What do you know about the operation of addition in the ring? i.e. what must (R,+) be?

What is abstract algebra and how does it relate to ring theory?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. Ring theory is a specific area of abstract algebra that focuses on the properties and structures of rings, which are sets with two binary operations that satisfy certain properties.

What are the basic properties of a ring?

A ring is a set with two binary operations, usually denoted by addition (+) and multiplication (•). The basic properties of a ring include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of an identity element for addition. Additionally, a ring may or may not have an identity element for multiplication, and the multiplication operation may or may not be commutative.

What is a subring and how is it different from a subgroup?

A subring is a subset of a ring that is itself a ring, meaning it satisfies all the properties of a ring. On the other hand, a subgroup is a subset of a group that is itself a group, meaning it satisfies all the properties of a group. The main difference between a subring and a subgroup is that a subring involves two binary operations (addition and multiplication) while a subgroup only involves one binary operation (group operation).

What is the difference between a commutative ring and a non-commutative ring?

A commutative ring is a ring in which the multiplication operation is commutative, meaning that a•b = b•a for all elements a and b in the ring. In contrast, a non-commutative ring is a ring in which the multiplication operation is not commutative, meaning that a•b may not equal b•a for some elements a and b in the ring.

What are some applications of ring theory in real-life problems?

Ring theory has various applications in real-life problems, such as in coding theory, cryptography, and computer science. In coding theory, ring theory is used to construct error-correcting codes that can protect data from errors during transmission. In cryptography, ring theory is used to construct secure encryption and decryption algorithms. In computer science, ring theory is used in the design and analysis of data structures and algorithms.