Differential equations and equilibrium points

In summary: Just in case you were wondering.In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving equilibrium points, but is confused.
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4873/46343978.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) is simple enough, i get

[tex]\dot{x}=y[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=x^{3}-x[/tex].

Equilibrium points occur when the time-derivatives of both x and y are zero, which gives the 3 equilibrium points (0,0), (1,0) and (-1,0).

Now I thought i'd better write it as a matrix equation as this is how i remember doing these type of problems, so if we write

[tex]X=\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}[/tex] then

[tex]\dot{X}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ x^{2}-1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}X[/tex]

(sorry, you have to look closely to see where the dots are!).

I would have thought i'd then have to find the eigenvales of this matrix for each of my equilibrium points to find the stability of each one? But when I look at the solution, it uses the Jacobian matrix and finds the eigenvalues of that instead?! I'm confused!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can really do what you did, because x is now both in the vector X and in the coefficient matrix.

IIRC the idea is usually that you linearize the equation around the equilibrium points. So you make a first-order Taylor series around the equilibrium point. The constant term will simply be the equilibrium point itself, and the first order term (which gives the information about the stability) will be the Jacobian multiplied by a vector. Try working it out for yourself.

Ah okay thanks. I'll have a go.

You can't write the two equations as a matrix equaiton because it is not linear. What you can do is approximate it at each point of interest (in particular, the equilibrium points) as a linear problem. You should remember that when you approximate a function, at a point, by a linear function you are using the tangent line approximation so that the slope is the derivative.

That is what is happening here. To get a linear equation [itex]\dot{X}= Ax[/itex], A is the "derivative", that is, the Jacobian you mention, evaluated at each equilibrium point.

By the way, the derivative of [itex]x^3- x[/itex] is \(\displaystyle 3x^2- 1\), not \(\displaystyle x^2- 1\)!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time based on the rate of change of other related quantities. They involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change, and are commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena.

2. What are equilibrium points in differential equations?

Equilibrium points, also known as steady states, are values at which the rate of change of a quantity in a differential equation is zero. This means that the quantity remains constant over time, and the system is in a state of balance or equilibrium.

3. How are equilibrium points determined in differential equations?

To determine equilibrium points in a differential equation, you must set the rate of change of the quantity to zero and solve for the value(s) of the quantity. These values represent the points at which the system is in equilibrium.

4. How are differential equations used to model real-world situations?

Differential equations are used to model real-world situations by representing the relationships between different variables and how they change over time. They can be used to predict and understand behaviors in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering.

5. What are the different types of equilibrium points in differential equations?

There are three types of equilibrium points in differential equations: stable, unstable, and semi-stable. Stable equilibrium points are those where the system returns to the point after a small perturbation. Unstable equilibrium points are those where the system moves away from the point after a small perturbation. Semi-stable equilibrium points are those that are stable in some directions and unstable in others.