How to test if vectors span a space?

In summary: It's about a different vector space.Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!In summary, the person is looking for a way to test if a set of vectors is linearly independent, and is also looking for a reminder about how to test for linear independence.
ramparts
Hey folks - I left my linear book at home for the summer and am having trouble finding this on the Google, so I'm hoping you'll be good for an easy question :) I have a set of vectors that I think spans a vector space, but I've forgotten how to test it. I can make a set of 5 simultaneous equations (it's a 5-dimensional space) but that seems a bit much. How do I do this again?

I'd also appreciate a reminder about how to test for linear independence, though it seems with this particular set of vectors that part is pretty trivial.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 5 vectors that are linearly independent, then they span a 5-dimensional vector space. (n-1) vectors can never span an n-dimensional space. One test for linear independence, besides using the definition, is to find the determinant of the matrix of the n vectors in question. If it is 0, the list of vectors is linearly dependent.

I didn't know it was that simple, thanks! If the determinant of the n-by-n matrix is non-zero, presumably that means the vectors are linearly independent?

Sorry, I left out something obviously important - I'm looking to see if these vectors span R^5.

Note that you can still have a set of linearly dependent vectors spanning a given space (you'd have more vectors than the dimension of that space). The sufficient condition is to express each of the space's basis elements as linear combinations of the set of vectors you are considering. If you have "too many" vectors then there will be more than one way to do this.

Note that you may for example be dealing with an infinite dimensional space. For example does the set of polynomials in x span the space of analytic functions (of x) on the real number line? Answer is yes, proof involves showing every analytic function has a power series expansion i.e. is a linear combination of monomials.

Yep - I was looking for a basis set, but it was pretty trivial that it was linearly independent so the main thing was to find span. Just had to sharpen my linear algebra, I put the vectors in a matrix and row reduced, and yeah, it spans.

It was actually a mildly interesting problem, I was curious if full-on Planck units (setting G, h-bar, c, e_0 and k to 1) uniquely covered any combination of base units (they do).

Oh, that 5-dimensional vector space :wink: On that note, this thread (link) may interest you.

1. How do you test if vectors span a space?

The most common method to test if vectors span a space is by using the spanning set test. This involves checking if the given vectors can be linearly combined to form any vector in the space. If they can, then they span the space.

2. What is the difference between spanning a space and spanning a subspace?

Spanning a space means that the given vectors can form any vector in that space, while spanning a subspace means that the given vectors can only form vectors within a smaller subset of that space.

3. Can a single vector span a space?

No, a single vector cannot span a space. It must be combined with at least one other vector to create a linearly independent set that can span the space.

4. What is the significance of testing if vectors span a space?

Testing if vectors span a space is important in determining the basis for that space. The basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire space. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in various applications such as solving systems of equations and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Are there any other tests besides the spanning set test to determine if vectors span a space?

Yes, there are other tests such as the row space test and the column space test. These tests involve checking if the given vectors are linearly independent and form a basis for the space. If they do, then they span the space. However, the spanning set test is the most commonly used method.