Solution space of linear homogeneous PDE forms a vector space?

In summary, the solution space of a linear homogeneous PDE forms a vector space, as proven by the properties of linearity and linear combinations of solutions. While there may be other axioms to prove in order to formally define a vector space, these properties are sufficient in the context of solving a PDE.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Claim:
The solution space of a linear homogeneous PDE Lu=0 (where L is a linear operator) forms a "vector space".

Proof:
Assume Lu=0 and Lv=0 (i.e. have two solutions)
(i) By linearity, L(u+v)=Lu+Lv=0
(ii) By linearity, L(au)=a(Lu)=(a)(0)=0
=> any linear combination of the solutions of a linear homoegenous PDE solves the PDE
=> it forms a vector space

Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution and comments
Now, I don't understand why ONLY by proving (i) and (ii) alone would lead us to conclude that it is a vector space. There are like TEN properties that we have to prove before we can say that it is a vector sapce, am I not right?
Are there any theorem or alternative definition that they have been using?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe consider the other axioms and test them, some may have been considered more bovious, but always worth checking

Other things are satisfied by the definition of functions, for example u+v=v+u is obvious and not a property of being a solution of a PDE. It may be implicitly assumed that you're talking about the subset of the vector space of all functions from U to V (where U and V are Rm and Rn such that you'd be looking for solutions with that domain and codomain). In that case you only have to prove the two subspace properties

1. What is a solution space?

A solution space is the set of all possible solutions to a given problem or equation.

2. What is a linear homogeneous PDE?

A linear homogeneous partial differential equation (PDE) is a type of differential equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives, and is linear (meaning the dependent variable appears only to the first power) and homogeneous (meaning all terms have the same degree).

3. How does the solution space of linear homogeneous PDE forms a vector space?

The solution space of linear homogeneous PDE forms a vector space because it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, has a zero vector, and has additive and multiplicative inverses.

4. Why is it important for the solution space to form a vector space?

It is important for the solution space to form a vector space because it allows for a systematic and efficient way to find solutions to a given PDE. By understanding the properties of a vector space, we can use techniques such as linear combinations and linear independence to find a basis for the solution space, which helps us to find a general solution.

5. Can the solution space of linear homogeneous PDE be infinite?

Yes, the solution space of linear homogeneous PDE can be infinite. This is because there can be infinitely many linearly independent solutions that form a basis for the solution space. However, it is also possible for the solution space to be finite, depending on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions.