Classical mechanics reference book

In summary, Some possible alternative books for "Classical Mechanics by Goldstein" are: Classical Mechanics by John R. Taylor, Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems by Marion and Thornton, and Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach by Jose and Saletan. Each book offers a different level of difficulty and may be useful as a supplement to Goldstein. However, note that some books may not cover all the topics mentioned, such as Poisson brackets.
Amar.alchemy
Hi All,

Kindly suggest me an alternative book for "Classical Mechanics by Goldstein". I am finding it little bit difficult to understand so if i can find any alternate book which is little less complicated than Goldstein it will be helpful for me. I am concentrating on the below mentioned topics and particularly to problems in CM:

Conservation laws; central forces, Kepler problem and planetary motion; collisions and scattering in laboratory and
centre of mass frames; mechanics of system of particles; rigid body dynamics; moment of inertia tensor; noninertial frames and pseudo
forces; variational principle; Lagrange’s and Hamilton’s formalisms; equation of motion, cyclic coordinates, Poisson bracket; periodic
motion, small oscillations, normal modes; special theory of relativity – Lorentz transformations, relativistic kinematics, mass-energy
equivalence

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
You might try Classical Mechanics by John R. Taylor,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/189138922X/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I would second this book. I used the preprint version when I studied classical mechanics and taught from this for an undergraduate classical mechanics class. As a supplement to Goldstein it would be good. I do not think it covers Poisson Brackets, however.

Thanks for reply :)
Kindly give ur opinion on "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems - Marion, Thornton". Does this book serve my purpose which i have mentioned in my first post?? (Becoz i have soft copy of this book, so will it be as helpful as John R Taylor's book?

Amar.alchemy said:
Thanks for reply :)
Kindly give ur opinion on "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems - Marion, Thornton". Does this book serve my purpose which i have mentioned in my first post?? (Becoz i have soft copy of this book, so will it be as helpful as John R Taylor's book?

Marion and Thorton is a standard mechanics book that is a little lower level than Goldstein. If you already have a(n) (illegal?) copy, then you should see if it's useful as a supplement to Goldstein. Poisson brackets are relegated to a single exercise.

Thanks George :)

A book I'm currently reading is
Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach- Jose & Saletan

This is a book at a level between Goldstein and Marsden or Arnold. This book gives a LOT of physical insight, however, I found that the logic can be hard to follow.

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What is a reference book for classical mechanics?

A reference book for classical mechanics is a book that contains information, equations, and examples related to the principles and laws of classical mechanics. It is used as a resource for understanding and solving problems in this field of physics.

What topics are typically covered in a classical mechanics reference book?

A classical mechanics reference book typically covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, oscillations, and rotational motion. It may also include discussions on more advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

How is a classical mechanics reference book useful for scientists?

A classical mechanics reference book is useful for scientists as it provides a comprehensive and organized source of information on the fundamental principles and laws of classical mechanics. It also serves as a guide for solving problems and conducting experiments in this field of physics.

What are some popular classical mechanics reference books?

Some popular classical mechanics reference books include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow, and "Classical Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky. These books are widely used and highly recommended by scientists and educators.