Mathematical treatement of electrodynamics

In summary, the individual is looking for a textbook on electrodynamics that is exterior calculus based and mentions the books "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" and "Course in Mathematics for students of physics" by Arnold and Bamberg/Sternberg respectively. They then mention Thirring's book and ask for information on Hehl's book, which they found a sample of on his website. They clarify that they are self-studying and do not have access to solutions for Bamberg/Sternberg's book. They also mention that they have gone through both volumes of the book but were looking for a deeper treatment on electrodynamics.
redrzewski
I'm looking for something like Arnold's "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" that applies to electrodynamics/SR/GR. I'd prefer it exterior calculus based.

So far, I'm leaning towards Thirring:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387406158/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Anyone know anything about this Hehl book? It looks like a complete textbook on EM, but using exterior calc:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817642226/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've gone thru Bamberg/Sternberg's "Course in Mathematics for students of physics", but that doesn't treat much electrodynamics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the off topic question but when you went through Bamberg and Sternberg's book was it for a class which gave solutions to the exercises? I want to go through the book but I do not like not knowing if my answers were right. If it was for a class, I was wondering if it had a website that gave some solutions to problems.

Again sorry for the off the topic question, but no one has yet to answer my question on another thread, thanks.

No. I'm just self-studying this on my own, so I don't have any of the solutions to Bamberg/Sternberg.

redrzewski said:
I've gone thru Bamberg/Sternberg's "Course in Mathematics for students of physics", but that doesn't treat much electrodynamics.

Both volumes?

Yes, both volumes. There's a few pages in volume 2 on it, but I was looking for a little deeper treatment. Ideally something ala Jackson but with exterior calculus.

1. What is the purpose of using mathematical treatment in electrodynamics?

The purpose of mathematical treatment in electrodynamics is to provide a rigorous and precise framework for understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It allows for the formulation of equations and principles that can be used to accurately describe and predict the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What are some common mathematical tools used in electrodynamics?

Some common mathematical tools used in electrodynamics include vector calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis. These tools are used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and to solve problems involving electromagnetic phenomena.

3. How does mathematical treatment help in solving problems in electrodynamics?

Mathematical treatment provides a systematic approach to solving problems in electrodynamics. By using equations and principles derived from mathematical models, it allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of complex electromagnetic phenomena.

4. What are the key equations in mathematical treatment of electrodynamics?

Some key equations in mathematical treatment of electrodynamics include Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the Lorentz force law, which relates the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical treatment in electrodynamics?

While mathematical treatment is a powerful tool in understanding and solving problems in electrodynamics, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not accurately capture all aspects of a real-world scenario, and it may be difficult to apply in highly complex or nonlinear situations.