Bacterial Growth: Solving an ODE for Population Size

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a cell of bacteria divides into two every 40 minutes and the initial population is 2 bacteria. The task is to find the population after a certain amount of time and determine when it will reach a certain number. The attempted solution uses an ODE and integration but is missing the fact that the population doubles every 40 minutes. The correct solution involves converting to hours and using the fact that the population doubles every 40 minutes.
S.N.

Homework Statement

A cell of some bacteria divides into two cells every 40 minutes. The initial population is 2 bacteria.

a)Find the size of the population after t hours
b) Find the size of the population after 6 hours.
c) When will the population reach 12?

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

taking t = time in hours, y(t) = population,

we say that

dy/dt = (3/2)y --- the 3/2 converts from hours to the 40 min growth period
dy/y = (3/2)dt
integrate...
ln(y) = (3/2)t + C --- C is arbitrary constant
y = [e^( (3/2)t )] * L -- L is arbitrary constant analogous to e^C.

we know that y(0) = 2, so to solve initial value problem,

2 = 1*L

therefore L = 2

and the solution for part a) should be y(t) = 2 e^[(3/2)t]

but this solution is unfortunately incorrect and I don't see how to fix it. Of course it holds for y(0) as it should, but it falls apart when I check other values. a friend mentioned something about "adding or subtracting a 1" somewhere but I don't see where I would do that, and even if I did I wouldn't understand the justification.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your ODE. It's missing something. The population _DOUBLES_ every 40 minutes. You seem to have forgotten about this fact.

A suggestion: convert to hours at the very end.

What is an ODE bacterial growth problem?

An ODE bacterial growth problem is a mathematical model that describes the growth of bacterial populations over time. It uses differential equations to represent the rate of change in the population size and factors that contribute to this growth.

What are the variables involved in an ODE bacterial growth problem?

The variables involved in an ODE bacterial growth problem typically include the initial population size, growth rate, death rate, and carrying capacity. These variables can be adjusted to simulate different scenarios and understand the effects of different factors on bacterial growth.

How is an ODE bacterial growth problem solved?

An ODE bacterial growth problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods use a series of calculations to approximate the solution to the differential equations and determine the population size at different time intervals.

What are some real-world applications of ODE bacterial growth problems?

ODE bacterial growth problems have various applications in fields such as microbiology, ecology, and epidemiology. They can be used to study the growth of bacteria in laboratory settings, the spread of diseases in populations, and the dynamics of ecosystems.

What are the limitations of ODE bacterial growth problems?

ODE bacterial growth problems make certain assumptions and simplifications in order to model bacterial growth. These may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios and can lead to limitations in the predictions made by the model. Additionally, the model may not account for external factors that can affect bacterial growth, such as competition with other organisms or changes in the environment.