What font does latex use?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Liji.h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Font Latex
In summary, the latex font that screams "professional looking" is cmtex10, which is used with computer modern for texts, and cmmi10 for maths.
Liji.h
what is that latex font that screams "professional looking"?

I am using math-type + power point's beamer-template to create a presentation.

there are two kinds of fonts involved

For text:

i use cmtex10 (which i assume is computer modern for latex?)

For math

i use times new roman+italic

but it doesn't look like latex!

here is what it looks like

[PLAIN]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8848/slidev.jpg [Broken]

please help! thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fss said:

thanks but i know it's computer modern (see the 5th line of my original post)

however, out of hundreds of variations of computer modern, which two exactly are used most often?

(one for texts and one for math)

A little googling finds this page, which reveals that "cmtex10" isn't the standard text font, it is the "typewriter extended" font. I know nothing about this, but page seems to be saying that the standard text font is "cmr10" and for maths "cmmi10".

DrGreg said:
A little googling finds this page, which reveals that "cmtex10" isn't the standard text font, it is the "typewriter extended" font. I know nothing about this, but page seems to be saying that the standard text font is "cmr10" and for maths "cmmi10".

thank you very much.:blushing:

As a general rule, for presentations, you should use a sans serif font, since it is easier to read. I don't see the appeal of the computer modern font-- it doesn't scream 'professional looking' to me!

cristo said:
As a general rule, for presentations, you should use a sans serif font, since it is easier to read. I don't see the appeal of the computer modern font-- it doesn't scream 'professional looking' to me!

I guess I am also trying to show that power point can do exactly what latex(beamer) does, and it can do it better, a lot better!

but of course, when I submit assignments I use Lyx, which is a latex-based software that has a graphic UI.

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting software used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia.

2. Why is LaTeX popular among scientists?

LaTeX is popular among scientists because it offers precise control over the layout and formatting of documents, produces high-quality output, and has a consistent appearance across different platforms.

3. What font does LaTeX use?

LaTeX uses a default font called Computer Modern, which was designed specifically for mathematical typesetting. It is a serif font with a clean and simple design.

4. Can I change the font in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the font in LaTeX by using different font packages or by manually specifying a different font in the document. However, it is generally recommended to stick with the default font for consistency and compatibility.

5. How do I make my document look more professional in LaTeX?

To make your document look more professional in LaTeX, you can use proper formatting, include figures and tables, use mathematical symbols and equations, and pay attention to details such as spacing and alignment. You can also consult online resources or seek help from a LaTeX expert for tips and guidance.