How do I get water vapor fraction and pressure?

In summary, the person is seeking help with their numerical simulation of a thermochemical heat storage device. They need to update the state of water vapor in the device and are looking for a way to calculate the vapor fraction and pressure after removing a certain amount of water. They are also seeking an empirical function or table to use in their simulation.
jason_85
Hi Guys,

I'm building a numerical Matlab simulation of a thermochemical heat storage device (using zeolites), and need to update the state of water vapor in the device at every time step. My question is, if I have an empty space with water in it, with temperature, pressure, density, etc. all known, how can I get the vapor fraction and pressure of that same boiler after removing x kilograms of water from it (and not replacing it with anything)?

The temperature range is about 50°C - 500°C and pressure should be between 1-20atm.

Ideally, I would love to get an empirical function for Vapor fraction of water - or at least a comprehensive table I can index in my simulation, so far I haven't been able to find anything myself.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
jason_85 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm building a numerical Matlab simulation of a thermochemical heat storage device (using zeolites), and need to update the state of water vapor in the device at every time step. My question is, if I have an empty space with water in it, with temperature, pressure, density, etc. all known, how can I get the vapor fraction and pressure of that same boiler after removing x kilograms of water from it (and not replacing it with anything)?

The temperature range is about 50°C - 500°C and pressure should be between 1-20atm.

Ideally, I would love to get an empirical function for Vapor fraction of water - or at least a comprehensive table I can index in my simulation, so far I haven't been able to find anything myself.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't really know the answer but maybe I can kind of give you some hints.

pressuve= force/area
force= Newton
if you are going to multuply you kilograms by 9.81m/s2(squered)= gravity, you are going to get Newtons.

if you are going to get rid of watter you are going to increase steam space (area).
so maybe using this somehow u can determin pressure differential.

Forse= Newton= kg x gravity.
from there you can maybe determin how mutch steam you got. that all will be under constant temperature.
I just started 4th class power engineering so I am not really sure what I am talking about.
when I will finish first year I will help out more.

Code:
how can I get the vapor fraction
by using steam table you can know the pressure on water and its corresponding temperature and amount of vapor generated.
you can find steam table on most thermodydamic books.

1. What is water vapor fraction and pressure?

Water vapor fraction refers to the amount of water vapor present in a gas mixture, expressed as a percentage of the total gas composition. Pressure, on the other hand, is the force exerted by the gas molecules on the walls of the container it is held in. In this case, we are specifically referring to the partial pressure of water vapor, which is the pressure exerted by the water molecules in the gas mixture.

2. Why is it important to measure water vapor fraction and pressure?

Water vapor fraction and pressure play a critical role in various processes, such as weather patterns, climate change, and industrial processes. By accurately measuring these parameters, we can better understand and predict these phenomena, as well as ensure safe and efficient operation of industrial equipment.

3. How do I measure water vapor fraction and pressure?

There are several methods for measuring water vapor fraction and pressure, including using a hygrometer or a dew point meter. These instruments use different principles, such as electrical conductivity or condensation, to determine the amount of water vapor and pressure in a gas mixture.

4. What factors can affect water vapor fraction and pressure?

Several factors can influence the water vapor fraction and pressure in a gas mixture, including temperature, humidity, and the presence of other gases. Changes in these parameters can cause shifts in the relative amount of water vapor and pressure, which can impact the overall composition and behavior of the gas mixture.

5. How do I control water vapor fraction and pressure?

Controlling water vapor fraction and pressure can be achieved through various methods, such as adjusting the temperature or humidity of the environment, using desiccants or absorbents, or utilizing specific equipment or processes designed for this purpose. It is important to carefully monitor and regulate these parameters to maintain the desired levels and ensure optimal conditions for various applications.