BECs vs He-4 Atoms: What's the Difference?

In summary, the cooling of He-4 atoms causes them to fall into the ground state, making them bosons. However, there is something which confuses me, from what I have read, these atoms actually coalesce into one "super-atom". And in quantum theory, it is entirely possible for many atoms to be in one spot at the same time (right?). But why is it that BECs are not the size of atoms? Another misconception is that they all have to be in the same location.
misogynisticfeminist
From what I know, the cooling of He-4 atoms causes them to fall into the ground state, making them Bosons. But there's something which confuses me, from what I read, these atoms actually coalesce into one "super-atom". And in quantum theory, it is entirely possible for many atoms to be in one spot at the same time (right?). But why is it that BECs are not the size of atoms?

Or is my understanding of BECs flawed around here?

Physics news on Phys.org
But why is it that BECs are not the size of atoms?

What makes you think BECs are not the size of atoms?

lol, is that so? then won't it be like too miniscule to be handled or something?

James R said:
What makes you think BECs are not the size of atoms?

Experiments have shown that they are not. Actually the molar volume of liquid He4 at absolute zero is 3.1 times larger than can be calculated from interatomic forces for a static lattice.

About the original question. I looked it up in my thermal physics book where it says "We can say that the quantum zero-point moyion is responsible for the expansion of the molar volume". But if some-one knows the details?!

misogynisticfeminist said:
From what I know, the cooling of He-4 atoms causes them to fall into the ground state, making them Bosons. But there's something which confuses me, from what I read, these atoms actually coalesce into one "super-atom". And in quantum theory, it is entirely possible for many atoms to be in one spot at the same time (right?). But why is it that BECs are not the size of atoms?

Or is my understanding of BECs flawed around here?

Y'know, next time you read things like this, please make sure you WRITE down the exact source so that the rest of us can double check to make sure you actually read it correctly?

The misconception here comes from the "super-atom" phrase and the meaning of a boson statistics. When a collection of particles undergoes a BE condensation, it does NOT mean that they become one giant atom. It does however mean that ALL of the particles are now coherent with each other and can be described by a single wavefunction. The coherence caused them to be "entangled" to each other and thus, physically and mathematically not separable. Thus, they are often thought of as one single entity, NOT a single atom!

And no, they all don't have to cramp into the same location in space. This is another misconception. What they can do is be in the SAME quantum state.

Zz.

1. What is a BEC and how does it differ from He-4 atoms?

A BEC, or Bose-Einstein condensate, is a state of matter that occurs when a group of bosons (particles with integer spin) are cooled to near absolute zero. In this state, the particles lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity. In contrast, He-4 atoms are a type of boson that can form a BEC, but they can also exist in other states of matter such as gas, liquid, and solid.

2. How are BECs and He-4 atoms created?

BECs are typically created in laboratory settings by cooling a gas of bosonic particles, such as rubidium or sodium atoms, using lasers and magnetic fields. On the other hand, He-4 atoms can be created by cooling and condensing helium gas to very low temperatures.

3. What are the properties of BECs and He-4 atoms?

BECs exhibit unique properties such as superfluidity and coherence, which means that all the particles in the condensate behave in a synchronized manner. He-4 atoms, on the other hand, have properties that are similar to other atoms and molecules, such as having a specific mass and energy.

4. What are the potential applications of BECs and He-4 atoms?

BECs have potential applications in quantum computing, precision measurements, and creating atom lasers. He-4 atoms, on the other hand, have various uses in industries such as cryogenics and cooling systems.

5. Are BECs and He-4 atoms related to each other in any way?

Yes, BECs can be created using He-4 atoms, but they can also be formed using other types of particles. Additionally, He-4 atoms can also exist in other states of matter, while BECs are a specific state of matter that can be created using various types of particles.