Calculate Concentration of HCl & HOAc for Titration | NaOH & HCl/HOAc Mixture

In summary, the student is in lab where they are titrating 0.09M NaOH into 25mL of 0.1M HCl/HOAc mixture. They are unsure of how to calculate the concentrations of HCl and HOAc in the mixture. They attempt to solve the problem using the dilution formula, but this is not always accurate for titration calculations. The first equivalence point gives the moles of HOAc and the second equivalence point gives the moles of both HOAc and HCl. The difference between the two is the moles of HCl alone.
Rissj3
Hi, I'm in lab in which we have to titrate 0.09M NaOH into 25mL of 0.1M HCl/HOAc mixture.

Homework Statement

I need help on how to calculate the concentration of HCl and HOAc in the mixture.

0.09M NaOH
1st equivalence point = 14.3mL
2nd equivalence point = 26.9mL

Difference of two equivalence points, 14.3-26.9= 12.6mL

Homework Equations

I'm thinking to solve this problem I would have to use the dilution formula, M1V1=M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

M (0.025L) = (0.09M)(0.0143L)
M = 0.05148M HCl

M (0.025L) = (0.09M)(0.0126L)
M = 0.04536M HOAc

Is this correct or am I completely off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

To give a simplified explanation:
The weak acid will be picked at titrant addition to about pH of 4 to 4.5, and both the weak and strong acid will be neutralized at about pH 8 to 9. Your first equivalence point will give you moles of HOAc; your second equivalence point will give you moles of both HOAc and HCl combined. The difference will be for the moles of HCl alone.

Rissj3 said:
I'm thinking to solve this problem I would have to use the dilution formula, M1V1=M2V2

Since when titration is identical to dilution?

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

Formula you listed happens to be identical to the one needed in SOME cases. The longer you will believe it works always, the worse for you.

1. How do I calculate the concentration of HCl and HOAc for titration?

To calculate the concentration of HCl and HOAc for titration, you will need to use the equation M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial concentration of the acid (in this case, HCl or HOAc), V1 is the initial volume of the acid, M2 is the concentration of the base (in this case, NaOH), and V2 is the volume of the base used in the titration. Rearrange the equation to solve for M1 or M2 depending on which concentration you are trying to find.

2. What is the purpose of titration in this experiment?

The purpose of titration in this experiment is to determine the concentration of an acid (HCl or HOAc) by reacting it with a known concentration of a base (NaOH). By measuring the volume of base needed to neutralize the acid, we can calculate the concentration of the acid.

3. How do I know when the titration is complete?

You will know when the titration is complete when the acid and base have been neutralized and the solution turns from acidic to neutral or basic. This can be determined by adding an indicator, such as phenolphthalein, which will change color when the solution reaches a certain pH.

4. What is the difference between HCl and HOAc?

HCl (hydrochloric acid) and HOAc (acetic acid) are both acids, but they have different chemical formulas and properties. HCl is a strong acid, meaning it completely dissociates in water, whereas HOAc is a weak acid, meaning it only partially dissociates in water. HCl is also more corrosive and hazardous than HOAc.

5. Can I use any type of acid or base for titration?

In this experiment, we are specifically using HCl and HOAc as the acids and NaOH as the base. However, you can use any acid and base combination for titration as long as you know their concentrations and the volumes used in the reaction. It is important to choose a strong acid and a strong base or a weak acid and a weak base to ensure accurate results.