How do you power an ignition coil

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help on how to power a recently purchased HV Spark Coil for the purpose of creating a Tesla Coil. The person is also concerned about the safety of working with high voltage and is directed to read safety information on the subject.
owen_a
Hello,

I've just bought a HV Spark Coil from this site:
http://www.rmcybernetics.com/shop/high-voltage/hv-spark-coil/prod_4.html

And I was wondering if anyone could help me on how I could power it? I'm really poor on money at the moment since I've just spent it on this item, so if anyone could recommend me with anything, then please do!

- Owen

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
owen_a said:
Hello,

I've just bought a HV Spark Coil from this site:
http://www.rmcybernetics.com/shop/high-voltage/hv-spark-coil/prod_4.html

And I was wondering if anyone could help me on how I could power it? I'm really poor on money at the moment since I've just spent it on this item, so if anyone could recommend me with anything, then please do!

- Owen

What are you planning on doing with it? The output voltage can be quite dangerous...

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to create a Tesla Coil. With these items I will be able to use the ignition coil to do my HV experiments.

owen_a said:
I want to create a Tesla Coil. With these items I will be able to use the ignition coil to do my HV experiments.

I don't think we can be of much help to you here on the PF. We generally do not discuss dangerous activities. Please be sure to read the HV safety information on the wikipedia page about Tesla Coils:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil

1. How does an ignition coil work?

An ignition coil works by converting the low voltage from the car battery into high voltage needed to create a spark in the spark plugs. This high voltage is necessary to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the engine and start the combustion process.

2. What powers an ignition coil?

An ignition coil is typically powered by the car's battery. The battery provides the low voltage needed for the ignition coil to function, while the engine's rotation generates the high voltage necessary for the spark to occur.

3. How is the high voltage generated in an ignition coil?

The high voltage in an ignition coil is generated through a process called induction. The low voltage from the battery passes through a primary coil, which creates a magnetic field. As the magnetic field collapses, it induces a high voltage in the secondary coil, which is then transferred to the spark plugs.

4. What causes an ignition coil to fail?

There are several reasons why an ignition coil may fail, including faulty wiring, overheating, and excessive wear and tear. Over time, the insulation around the coil may break down, causing a short circuit. Additionally, exposure to moisture or dirt can also cause the coil to fail.

5. Can you test an ignition coil?

Yes, an ignition coil can be tested using a multimeter to measure the resistance between the primary and secondary coils. If the resistance is outside the specified range, it may indicate a faulty coil. Additionally, a spark plug tester can also be used to check if the coil is producing a spark.