What Attracts Women to Flowers?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, women tend to like flowers while men are usually indifferent towards them. Some prefer potted flowers while others prefer cut flowers. Flowers that attract bees or butterflies are particularly enjoyable. There is also a discussion on the idea of a woman being compared to a flower. Some believe that potted flowers are forced to bloom and may die quickly, while others prefer cut flowers. Overall, women may have a better sense of smell while men may have better eyesight. Finally, some people do not enjoy having flowers in their homes, but are willing to compromise for their significant other.
netgypsy said:
Notice I didn't say not to get her the practical gift. I just said to always include one that is beautiful no matter how little money it costs. Not listening demonstrates a serious lack of respect and also shows an imbalance of power in the relationship. A couple with equal power would not dare "not listen" to the spouse/partner so congratulations on dumping him. Hope you did it sooner rather than later. I've never understood why women marry a man when this lack of respect is there from the beginning. But the women in our family say it's because they are in love with love also and want things to be the way they should so much that they ignore reality. A real shame because they are missing out on an amazing experience with the right guy who will always listen and always be there.
He was perfect until we married. Six weeks after I married I sat down next to him and said "stop me if I'm wrong, but you are NOT the guy I married".

He said no, he wasn't. He said that he knew I was what he wanted, so he had to pretend to be everything I wanted so that I would marry him. Now that we were married, he didn't have to pretend anymore.

I knew something was wrong, I knew he couldn't be real, but my friends LOVED him and said how perfect he was for me. Ivy league grad, drop dead gorgeous, laid the world at my feet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
He was perfect until we married. Six weeks after I married I sat down next to him and said "stop me if I'm wrong, but you are NOT the guy I married".

He said no, he wasn't. He said that he knew I was what he wanted, so he had to pretend to be everything I wanted so that I would marry him. Now that we were married, he didn't have to pretend anymore.

I knew something was wrong, I knew he couldn't be real, but my friends LOVED him and said how perfect he was for me. Ivy league grad, drop dead gorgeous, laid the world at my feet.

aww ... o:)

P.S. I hope he doesn't mind his naked picture in boxers on a public forum :blushing:

rootX said:
aww ... o:)

P.S. I hope he doesn't mind his naked picture in boxers on a public forum :blushing:
That was his swimsuit. We were getting ready to go to the pool.

Evo said:
That was his swimsuit. We were getting ready to go to the pool.

I'm not sure I was born yet when those shorts were popular!

Drakkith said:
I'm not sure I was born yet when those shorts were popular!
:rofl:

Personally, I am well aware of those kinds of people and I keep my distance from them :biggrin:

Definitely nice to look at but he looks like he likes to look at himself a bit too much. Too good to be true frequently is, unfortunately. One of our family members married one of those - wealthy family - he was looking for a trophy wife, which she definitely was - drop dead gorgeous as we used to say. Unfortunately she stuck it out for a really long time but finally did make the break and is now happily married to her high school sweetheart. Happy endings are nice. I usually tell the younger women - look for the diamond in the rough. Appearance is very easy to improve. Character isn't and stupid is forever.

Another family member married one of those high school geeks and by the end of college women were chasing him by the droves but he never had a clue how attractive he was. She always jokes that she carries a big stick to beat off the women. And he turned out to be the most amazing person. She considers herself to be the luckiest in the world - especially when she remembers several guys she might have married but somehow had the sense to back off. A lot of times it's just dumb luck finding a really great match. A cousin said you don't find the right one until you stop looking. He and another cousin were both over 40 when they finally found what they were looking for. Matchmakers might be a good thing to bring back - oh but I guess they have come back hahaha. (online dating services)

I bet he'd be quite pleased to see himself displayed on here. Guys like that like to be looked at.

vanity

Back OT. My wife loves flowers and has transformed almost all of our front lawn to a perennial garden. I will strive to help her transform the rest, so that I don't have to mow it.

I love flowers, not just because they are beautiful, but because they are so supportive of insects, birds, etc. If you have a bit of space, please plant a clump of bee-balm and watch the bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds come to your little garden. Bee-balm is a variety of mint and is quite invasive, but if you love butterflies, hummingbirds, etc, you should learn how to tolerate its spread.

Evo said:
Nice, but the fact that I REALLY WANTED pratical gifts and never got them was one of the reasons I divorced my ex, he didn't listen to me. Any time we had an argument or any occasion I got 1-2 dozen red roses. It got to be so thoughtless that it infuriated me. I kept telling him if he wanted to send flowers, send me a cheap bouquet of colorful fresh flowers, not roses that would wilt and turn black the next day.

He never listened to me.

The most important thing a man can do, LISTEN to what your woman tells you. get her that vacuum, or those socks and oven mitts, then if you want to add something she didn't ask for, you're safe.

Ouch.

Comercially available flowers may have all sorts of chemicals they are used to/need to stay alive. Back a lifetime ago, I knew someone who could make the flowers she was given bloom to the point of exploding their corollas. They survived incrdibly long, two weeks being the norm. I don't think any chemicals were used to grow those flowers, and I know she used to add something in the water, a little bit of sugar and perhaps something else. She also used to chop off a bit of their stems as soon as they were home. She used to say it was the warmth of her sould that opened them with such selfless abandon. I kinda believe some of that.

Regards
nr

She had the gift. Like those people animals just know they can trust.
Evo, your ex reminds me of that song
Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

We'll have to make sure your virtual hubby does better. :-)

My mother was very talented at keeping cut flowers fresh. She'd recut the ends of the stems with a razor blade (cutting on the diagonal), and put a dash of sugar and an aspirin in the water.

About the only time she ever got cut flowers was a few roses for her birthday, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day etc. She was much happier getting potted perennials that she could plant in the spring. The soil at our house was quite bony and poor, so mostly she had to make do with real hardy plants like day lilies and bee-balm, at least on the front side of the house.

turbo said:
My mother was very talented at keeping cut flowers fresh.
I'm relying on you to remind me in the spring to cut some forsythia for my wife. The idea is to cut a few branches when they start to bud and bring them inside. That way they blossom in the house sooner than on the bush.

One of the main problems with the long stemmed red roses you get from a florist is that they are forced to bloom, then immediately refrigerated to stop them from opening any more, so you get that "classic" budding look. The roses in most cases are pretty old before they get delivered, and when they are exposed to the dry heat in most homes and offices, the poor things just shrivel up and die. Yes, I also recut the stems under warm water and add the preservative mix to the water, not much you can do for a bloom that's been artificially *preserved* for days.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I'm relying on you to remind me in the spring to cut some forsythia for my wife. The idea is to cut a few branches when they start to bud and bring them inside. That way they blossom in the house sooner than on the bush.
And I have to remind you, why? Aren't you with the program yet? :tongue: You're south of me, so you should be able to cut some branches a week or two before Valentine's Day so that your wife will have a bunch of blooms by then. I need to wear snowshoes to even get to the bushes.

First, they have pretty yellow blooms, then the nice green leaves... We try to stretch them out as long as possible because having fresh living stuff in the house during the height of blizzard season is refreshing. One year, we got a sprig of an odd willow with flattened stems (my neighbor grows "specimen" trees) along with the forsythias, just because the catkins looked nice. The willow switch leafed out and rooted, so I planted it in the spring. Now I have several of those rooted cuttings all growing down near the little pond beside the garden. The willow is thriving, and my neighbor has followed suit. He has excavated a pond in the back yard, and has ringed the pond with those willow cuttings. Now instead of having one huge clump of those willows, he will have a natural-looking border of them around his pond. Salix Sekka is quite an impressive-looking plant, with the flattened curved stems, the long catkins, and dark foliage.

Being a guy, that thinks guy kinds of thoughts, I would ask, "Why would you ever bother to ask 'Why'?"

Evo said:
...The most important thing a man can do, LISTEN to what your woman tells you. get her that vacuum, or those socks and oven mitts, ...

For me, my wife likes her socks - very soft wool, very brightly colored. So, I get her several pairs a year - and I also get her cut flowers. And when one of her potted plants dies - the kid and I get her a new one.

And if you have to ask why - Sorry, I can't help. :)

ice

AMEN!
If you've never had someone look at you and the whole world lit up and you felt like you'd died and gone to heaven, you really never would understand why you would want to nurture this person, keep them happy and give them beautiful things.

I've always wondered why roses from a florist have no fragrance.

If you buy rose bushes check out the David Austin roses. The fragrance is amazing. Even I can smell them.

Some roses are quite fragrant. The Congregationalist minister in our town bought an old greenhouse that was quite large because it was in operation well before shipping flowers was cheaper than growing them. His wife was quite adept at bringing plants to bloom in time for holidays, proms, etc. I have always loved greenhouses/nurseries. The organist in my college band (most variations of the band, anyway) was a horticulture major who took care of the greenhouse, and lived in adjacent apartment. He was a whiz with orchids. Zz would have liked him.

Actually many many roses are wonderfully fragrant. Tiffany is one (a hybrid tea). But I've never found any in a retail store that had any fragrance at all. Greenhouses are a weakness of mine also. Spent many weekends just browsing. The most interesting flower type thing I ever did was go to Greenwood SC and talk to a rose judge and breeder. He was quite old at the time so I suspect he is no longer with us but he was amazing. We discovered that a rose that was on our property when we got it was probably a very special type that he'd been looking for. Unfortunately the goats ate it but a neighbor has one. One of these days I'm going to snag a few cuttings. It's a single blooming almost white with a pink blush. Very fragrant and lovely. Nice bush too and didn't get black spot even in the most humid weather. I learned that rose fanciers spend a lot of time at graveyards because they are the most likely place to find a heritage rose like the one that was at our place.

women always like beautiful things. Since women always like to be beautiful

<h2>1. What is the scientific explanation behind women's attraction to flowers?</h2><p>There are a few different theories as to why women are drawn to flowers. Some scientists suggest that it could be an evolutionary response, as flowers often indicate fertility and reproduction. Others believe it could be due to the visual appeal and beauty of flowers, which can stimulate positive emotions and feelings of happiness.</p><h2>2. Are there certain types of flowers that women are more attracted to?</h2><p>While personal preferences may vary, studies have shown that women tend to be more attracted to flowers with bright colors and pleasant scents. This could be because these traits are often associated with beauty and attractiveness.</p><h2>3. Is there a connection between women's attraction to flowers and their sense of smell?</h2><p>Yes, there is a strong correlation between a woman's sense of smell and her attraction to flowers. The olfactory system, responsible for our sense of smell, is closely linked to the emotional centers of the brain. Therefore, the scent of flowers can evoke positive emotions and increase a woman's attraction to them.</p><h2>4. How does the cultural and societal perception of flowers play a role in women's attraction to them?</h2><p>The cultural and societal perception of flowers can definitely influence a woman's attraction to them. In many cultures, flowers are associated with love, romance, and beauty, which can make them more appealing to women. Additionally, the media often portrays flowers as romantic gifts, further reinforcing their desirability.</p><h2>5. Can the act of giving or receiving flowers impact a woman's attraction to them?</h2><p>Yes, the act of giving or receiving flowers can have a significant impact on a woman's attraction to them. Studies have shown that receiving flowers can increase feelings of happiness, gratitude, and affection. This positive association can make women more attracted to flowers in the future.</p>

1. What is the scientific explanation behind women's attraction to flowers?

There are a few different theories as to why women are drawn to flowers. Some scientists suggest that it could be an evolutionary response, as flowers often indicate fertility and reproduction. Others believe it could be due to the visual appeal and beauty of flowers, which can stimulate positive emotions and feelings of happiness.

2. Are there certain types of flowers that women are more attracted to?

While personal preferences may vary, studies have shown that women tend to be more attracted to flowers with bright colors and pleasant scents. This could be because these traits are often associated with beauty and attractiveness.

3. Is there a connection between women's attraction to flowers and their sense of smell?

Yes, there is a strong correlation between a woman's sense of smell and her attraction to flowers. The olfactory system, responsible for our sense of smell, is closely linked to the emotional centers of the brain. Therefore, the scent of flowers can evoke positive emotions and increase a woman's attraction to them.

4. How does the cultural and societal perception of flowers play a role in women's attraction to them?

The cultural and societal perception of flowers can definitely influence a woman's attraction to them. In many cultures, flowers are associated with love, romance, and beauty, which can make them more appealing to women. Additionally, the media often portrays flowers as romantic gifts, further reinforcing their desirability.

5. Can the act of giving or receiving flowers impact a woman's attraction to them?

Yes, the act of giving or receiving flowers can have a significant impact on a woman's attraction to them. Studies have shown that receiving flowers can increase feelings of happiness, gratitude, and affection. This positive association can make women more attracted to flowers in the future.