A good book on Differential Equations and Partial Differential Equations?

In summary, Physics majors are required to take PDE at a certain school, while math majors and engineers have the option to take it as an elective. However, the course has a reputation for being very challenging and most students do not choose to take it. As for preparing for the course, the person is looking for a book that explains the concepts and applications of DE and PDE in simple terms, without heavy focus on proofs. They are also seeking suggestions from others who have taken the course.
1MileCrash
At my school, Physics majors are the only ones who HAVE to take PDE, math majors and engineers have the option as an elective, but none of them do that because it has the reputation of being the most difficult math course at my school.

I'm going into Calc III in the spring, then DE is next. What's a good book for me to get acquainted with DE and PDE in the meantime?

I'd prefer something that would give me insight on how they work, the problems they are meant to solve... nothing too proof heavy, and a lot of plain english and not just straight math throughout.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
what about check with ppl who's taking the course to see what textbooks they have

i took PDE as required course in college, I had my B.E. in EE.

1. What is the difference between a differential equation and a partial differential equation?

A differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables.

2. What makes a book on differential equations and partial differential equations "good"?

A good book on these topics should have clear explanations, numerous examples and practice problems, and a comprehensive coverage of both theory and applications.

3. Is prior knowledge of calculus necessary to understand a book on differential equations and partial differential equations?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary as these topics build upon concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

4. Are there any real-world applications of differential equations and partial differential equations?

Yes, these equations are used to model and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

5. Can a book on differential equations and partial differential equations be used for self-study or is it better suited for a classroom setting?

It depends on the individual's learning style and level of mathematical background. A well-written book with clear explanations and practice problems can be used for self-study, but a classroom setting may provide additional support and guidance.