DMA Scope: Affordable PC Oscilloscope for PWM Waveforms

In summary, the person is looking for a way to use a PC to emulate an oscilloscope, but is worried about interference. They find a PC oscilloscope called a dma scope and learn that it uses the sound card. They buy one and are very happy with their purchase.
ffp
Hi, i need an oscilloscope but i don't have money to buy one, so i was thinking about some way to use the PC to emulate an osciloscope.
I saw on internet people using the sound board, but they say that's a lot of interference...
So i found a PC Oscilloscope and i wanted to know if it works. I want to use it to see wave forms in a PWM circuit.
Its called dma scope

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any Scope card or module that can interface to a laptop...using USB etc.?

I have a PC USB interfaced oscilloscope that is a lot faster than a sound card based one. USB oscilloscopes only limits really are the bandwidth of USB HS at 480 mbps or 5gbps super speed and the storage buffer. Its really nice for hobby stuff. Its not cheap, but its no where near as expensive as a real oscilloscope and it is very compact, about the size of a small external hard drive. I got it for under $200.

The company who made mine is Hantek.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I only have an old Tek 465, I can use a storage scope.

256bits said:
You can also try. I think it uses the sound card.
http://www.zelscope.com/

Hah! What a brilliant idea. I never thought of using the sound card for that, but that's such an obvious choice, given it already has the required A/D and D/A converters.

I guess this is as close to a software-only solution as one can get.

Of course, a dedicated card or an USB device will have something close to actual precision and will have a much bigger bandwidth - but what a creative idea!

1. What is a DMA Scope and how does it work?

A DMA Scope is a type of oscilloscope that is specifically designed to measure and analyze pulse width modulated (PWM) waveforms. It works by using a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) to generate a reference waveform, which is then compared to the PWM waveform being measured. The resulting difference between the two waveforms is displayed on the screen, allowing for precise measurements and analysis.

2. How is the DMA Scope different from traditional oscilloscopes?

The DMA Scope differs from traditional oscilloscopes in that it is specifically optimized for measuring and analyzing PWM waveforms. Traditional oscilloscopes may struggle to accurately measure these types of signals, while a DMA Scope is designed specifically for this purpose and offers more precise measurements and analysis.

3. What are the benefits of using a DMA Scope for PWM waveforms?

Using a DMA Scope for PWM waveforms offers several benefits, including more accurate measurements, faster sampling rates, and better visualization of the waveform. It also allows for more in-depth analysis of PWM signals, which can be useful in a variety of applications such as motor control, power electronics, and audio signal processing.

4. Is the DMA Scope affordable for researchers and students?

Yes, the DMA Scope is designed to be an affordable option for researchers and students. It offers similar functionality to higher-end oscilloscopes at a fraction of the cost, making it accessible for those on a limited budget. Additionally, it is easy to use and can be a valuable tool for learning about PWM waveforms and their applications in various fields of study.

5. Can the DMA Scope be used for other types of waveforms?

While the DMA Scope is specifically designed for PWM waveforms, it can also be used to measure and analyze other types of signals such as square waves and rectangular waves. However, its main functionality and benefits lie in its ability to accurately measure and analyze PWM signals.