Curve Fitting Data: Motion Analysis, Bouncing Ball, Excel Graph

In summary, curve fitting data is a statistical method commonly used in motion analysis to find the best mathematical model that describes the relationship between variables. It can be used in creating a model for the movement of objects and making predictions and analyzing behavior. Excel can also be utilized for this purpose. The bouncing ball experiment is a common experiment used to study motion and can provide data for curve fitting. The benefits of using curve fitting in motion analysis include accurately modeling behavior, making predictions, and gaining a better understanding of underlying factors.
jey1234

Homework Statement

This is not homework, just a personal project. I do not know if this is the correct section to post, sorry if it's not. I'm using a motion analysis software to track the position of a bouncing ball (y vs t). I imported the data into Excel and the graph is attached. What type of function is this? Does it involve the geometric series? I'm trying fit the data using http://zunzun.com/. Which function should I choose? Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Graph.png
    Graph.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this would be an infinite geometric series.

1. What is curve fitting data?

Curve fitting data is a statistical method used to find the best mathematical model that describes the relationship between two or more variables. It is commonly used in motion analysis to analyze the movement of objects.

2. How is curve fitting data used in motion analysis?

In motion analysis, curve fitting data is used to create a mathematical model that represents the movement of an object, such as a bouncing ball. This model can then be used to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the object.

3. Can Excel be used for curve fitting data in motion analysis?

Yes, Excel can be used for curve fitting data in motion analysis. It has built-in functions and tools that allow you to create and analyze graphs, as well as perform curve fitting on the data.

4. What is the bouncing ball experiment?

The bouncing ball experiment is a common experiment used to study the motion of a bouncing ball. It involves dropping a ball from a certain height and recording the time it takes for the ball to reach different heights during its bounces. This data can then be used for curve fitting and analysis.

5. What are the benefits of using curve fitting data in motion analysis?

The benefits of using curve fitting data in motion analysis include being able to accurately model the behavior of an object, making predictions about future movements, and gaining a better understanding of the underlying factors affecting the motion of the object.