Do atoms get bigger or further apart as an object's temperature increases?

In summary, heating increases the energy of atoms or molecules, causing them to need more space to move around, resulting in larger spacing. This also means that the hotter an object is, the bigger it is. As for weight, it should not change during heating. So, to answer the question about atoms, they do get bigger as the temperature increases due to the increase in energy and spacing. However, the weight should remain the same.
Marshallaw4
the hotter an object is, the bigger it is. So, what is happening with atoms? Do they get bigger or are they any further from themselves? I'm interested in it and as I think the bigger temperature they have the bigger are those nuclear or atomic forces so they are further from themselves. I also tried to heat metal and if the weight changes while changing temperature but I have a bad weighting machine :D. I don't know if that really went down with the descreasing themperature or if it was the weighting machine... So tell me something verified about this and sorry for my bad english if I made some errors

Physics news on Phys.org
Heating increases the energy of the atoms or molecules, so they need more room to move around. In other words, the spacing gets bigger.

Weight should not change during heating.

yeah just like I thought, my first working theory, but it's already made by someone else :D.. but if not I would have my own theory :D

rather explanation

1. What is the relationship between atoms and heat in an object?

The movement of atoms in an object causes heat. The more movement or vibration there is within the atoms, the higher the temperature of the object will be. This is because heat is a form of energy created by the movement of atoms.

2. How does heating an object affect the atoms within it?

When an object is heated, the atoms within it absorb the energy and begin to vibrate faster. This increased movement causes the atoms to collide with each other and the walls of the object, creating more heat. If the temperature becomes too high, the bonds between the atoms can break, causing a phase change or even a chemical reaction.

3. What happens to the atoms in a heated object when it cools down?

As the object cools, the atoms lose energy and their movement slows down. This decrease in movement causes the temperature of the object to decrease as well. In some cases, this decrease in temperature can cause the atoms to rearrange and form a new solid structure, such as when water freezes into ice.

4. What is the role of atoms in conduction and convection?

In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between atoms. The atoms in the warmer object collide with the atoms in the cooler object, transferring energy and heating it up. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of atoms in a fluid. As the atoms in the fluid heat up, they become less dense and rise, carrying heat with them.

5. Can atoms in an object reach absolute zero?

No, according to the third law of thermodynamics, it is impossible to reach absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius) because it would require all atomic and molecular motion to stop completely. This is theoretically impossible as there will always be some amount of energy and movement within atoms, even at extremely low temperatures.